Thread: Corpse hoarding to a Precrown

Default Corpse hoarding to a Precrown

So I posted this to the Wikia page but the editorial philosophy seems to be 'no strategies are allowed that a speedruning poweruser either hasn't heard of before or can't do better than' <sigh>.
    copy/paste here:
    "If the PC has food preservation, a large amount of corpses will be generated; all corpses are sacrificial fodder for Chaotic gods, and nearly all (other than the few lawful monsters) are for Lawful gods. Munxip's and Leggot's shops are guaranteed, are close to the early game and mid-game areas respectively, corpses will not spoil while they are merchandise, and they can be bought back cheaply. For a PC willing to spend the time to store corpses, over 100 can generally be stored before the level 16 cutoff for precrowning. Firespells help increase time to spoilage and satiation value (if this matters for corpses). "

Anyway to make a long story short, I used to play this game in the 90s and 00s and early teens off and on. Picked up 1.2.0 on steam cause I figure I owe Thomas at least a couple bucks for hundreds of hours of free entertainment. I heard that all the old tricks to get an early precrown are nerfed or fully eliminated, but I got in the habit of getting a precrown. I'm playing a wizard, I usually end killing those by crushing because I get Strength of Atlas and carry 10billion tons of shit around.

Figure, I have food preservation which means I almost always have tons of corpses that I either leave on the ground, rot in my pack or I eat when not hungry just so they don't go to waste. Figure, they have Sac Value, and it's going to be harder to precrown so I decide to stash them. I never find Atlas Strength but I do get two girdles of carrying which I bless. Generally I dive a level, leave all the merchant trash on the stairs, roast any corpses and put them in the pack, drop them off in Terinyo or HMV.

By the time I'm 20k exp from level 17, I've managed to forage 6 blessed Stomas, 50k gold and about ~100 corpses (chaotics only because I'm neutral). Only altar I found was in the SMC, and too far from either stairway to make live-saccing safe, especially since I can't deal with high level neutrals except combat. Turns out Saccing the corpses got me from 'inner peace' to 'very close' and the stomas plus about 10k gold put me over the top.

Is this a strategy? Is it interesting? I'm not sure how 'strategic' it is, but given the number of other options that have been foreclosed, it certainly seems to work. That PC would absolutely not have gotten precrowned without it. If I'd had a lawful altar I could have sacced twice as many corpses, and probably done it on corpses + stoma alone. It's a 'little' grindy? But I'm not interrupting my play to do anything, I just dungeon crawl as usual, pick up corpses that I otherwise wouldn't and prioritize carrying them around instead of some crappy handaxe I'd sell for 50 gold. Without either a strength of atlas spell or a girdle of carrying, it would require annoying shuttling back and forth, but that's a pretty low bar to clear. And like I said if you're not playing a neutral, you can sac anything and the method becomes twice as effective. I've lost out due to bad RNG on precrowning before, now I think with some patience and the usual amount of cash and some luck with herbs, it's a dead lock for every playthrough.
    Last edited by Byrnsey; 05-26-2021 at 02:43 PM.