Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No intrinsics game

Default No intrinsics game

Has anybody ever done it? I mean, no intrinsics whatsoever, this means, no Lucky/Fate smiles (also, has to avoid cursing and dooming at all costs), no resistances (including fire for the ToEF), no wearing items that grant any intrinsic whatsoever (slayers still permitted), no eating of corpses that might give intrinsics [or eating at the risk of voiding the challenge], stat giving corpses are allowed, no pool sipping (or pool sipping at the risk of voiding the challenge).

Sources of light, slaying weapons and such are allowed. Basically, the PC should drink a potion of insight and see nothing but his healing and PP rgen rate.

This would mean not getting pre/post and crowned (actually, never raising piety to the point where deity grants lucky), facing the ToEF w/o any source of fire resistance or teleport control. This means lots of PoEH, lots of WoT charges, and probably some very high toughness.

No water breathing so no water cave.

No confusion resistance so high Wi is essential.

Getting teleportitis by means of corruption is allowed but it must be removed ASAP.

Probably a wizard is the best choice for this challenge. Any thoughts? (i'm not doing it myself... just wondering if anybody ever done it)
    Last edited by pblack; 09-23-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Sounds interesting, but probably very tough. A lot of very nice items, including virtually all artifacts, as well as piety to a significant extent, would be off limits, and the ToEF with 10 points of damage per turn would be brutal. Maybe a healer would be better than a wizard for uber regeneration?

I'd say key points are as follows:

Alertness is mandatory. High level dragons and wyrms can do several hundred points of damage with breath attacks; lack of death ray resistance, petrify resistance (although gorgons are blessedly rare), etc. would also cause serious problems without it.

Starvation scumming will probably be essential--you need to get Wi into the stratosphere to resist confusion from high level mobs, esp. since prayers will be worthless for this challenge.

Astral planes corruption is basically automatic shift-Q unless you have corruption removal available.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Maybe a dark elf of drakeling mindcrafter for tele control and some confusion resistance - if mind crafters are allowed due to these natural born instricints.

Massive herb scumming for spenceweed and stats would be required and that sounds a bit boring to me

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    Maybe a dark elf of drakeling mindcrafter for tele control and some confusion resistance - if mind crafters are allowed due to these natural born instricints.

Massive herb scumming for spenceweed and stats would be required and that sounds a bit boring to me
    Mindies not allowed since -Conf is a class power.
    And boring? yes. Like most challenges it's not supposed to be "fun" =P. Just unforgivingly hard.And yes JellySlayer. Healer does sound better, but their near immunity to disease and poison at level 50 makes them technically not allowed =P, thou it is absolutely useless at that point.

List of Zero intrinsics artifacts:

Black Tome
    Iron crown of havlor (i think it's unattainable except for crowning)
    Vanquisher (unattainable w/o crowning)
    Golden Gladius
    Cat's Claw (unattainable w/o crowning)
    Moon Sickle
    Kinslayer (un. w/o crowning)
    Justifier (un. w/o crowning)
    Far Slayer
    Needle and Sting (i think)
    sun's Messenger (un. w/o crowning)
    Thunderstroke
    True Aim (un. w/o crowning)
    Orbs
    Crystal Phial
    Silver Key

This means that your best damage might come from moon sickle, and you'll get really corrupted by using it a lot.

Far Slayer is the best possible random artifact, but then, defense is the main concern in this challenge.

Allowed classes:

On an alternative ruleset... All classes are technically allowed, as long as you don't reach the level where they gain the intrinsics. Beasties, Mindcrafters, Elementalists and Necromancers are obvious no-go's as they get their intrinsics at level 6. But a Troll weaponsmith might just do it finishing before lvl 40, Healers are allowed up to level 49 as well.
    Last edited by pblack; 09-23-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.

honestly i could try it on server if my internet connection was more stable. I thought of barbarian but some semispellcaster for utility spells could work better.

Darkness+invisbility solve some of problems. Not having tp control is probably worst thing.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

So invisible would be allowed? How about being blessed or having strength of atlas active?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    So invisible would be allowed? How about being blessed or having strength of atlas active?
    I think rules would only allow invis from potion or spell? And blessed and soa are no intrinsics either imo.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    See invisible not allowed, blessed doesn't show when you drink a PoI so it's allowed. But only attaineable from constant spell since crowning is out of question. Invisibility from spell/potion is allowed. NOT from items.

SoA is a spell so it's allowed.

The PoI is the main criteria.
    Last edited by pblack; 09-22-2009 at 05:22 PM.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.

If both invis and darkness are allowed, I'd imagine that it would be possible with a patient wizard. Stairhop till you get both spells and you can bolt 95% of foes without taking any damage.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Jelly Slayer can do it! I've heard rumors that he sold his soul to the devil for ADoM skills...
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"