Thread: Question about speed/max speed

Default Question about speed/max speed

Hi!

If anyone know why speed above 1000 is not working?
    I wanted to be faster then quickling kings but that seems not possible, speed above 1000 only reduce xp gains.

Sorry for bad English and thank you for your time.

The speed/energy system works roughly as follows:
    1. Each entity's speed is added to their energy total.
    2. All entities with 1000 or more energy get to take an action.
    3. Energy is reduced depending on the action chosen (usually the cost is 1000).
    4. Go to 1.

So any monster with 1000+ speed is always going to get an action when energy is incremented. Speed higher than 1000 could potentially be useful for higher energy cost actions such as book-casting.

Grond thank you for fast replay. I found some data about speed and ability that cost more then 1000 energy but never found math you gived here.
    According to your replay, speed above 1000 is useless?

My test say speed above 1000 is not only useless but leads to freeze/bug after long time.
    I tested character with more then 1500 speed vs quickling queen and i was not able to run away, in fact after my 7-8 my steps she moved twice.
    Tested again with more speed but i was slower again.
    I wanted be much faster then anything in ADOM so i can be sure i will act first but speed seems to be capped at 1000 for players (1024 perhaps as 2^10=1024).
    In blue dragon caves I confirmed that~1000 speed is max value. Most of Blue dragons and Ancient blue dragons have speed between 110 and 130 and i was able to acat "only" 8 or 9 times before dragon even if my speed was above 2000 and there is significant energy reduction for lvl 15 weapon skill. My math was simple: if I have 2200 speed and use 1000 energy for action i can act 20 times before creature with speed of 110 and action that needs 1000 energy. Lvl 15 skill in weapon give energy cost for attack of 595, lets say its 600 to keep it simple. Now i can act 1000/600=1,66 times more. With speed of 2200 and lvl 15 weapon I expected to have 30+ actions before dragon. Got only 8 or 9.

After long blue dragon hunting (killed thousands blue dragons/ancient blue dragons) got "frozen" and i was forced to watch my most powerfull character ever was killed.
    Some time ago i found bug report that say reducing DV of monster below 0 give DV of monster of ~250. Perhaps something similar was in play here? Perhaps energy/speed above 1000 was "stored" and after some time that "storage" went over 32/64 bit value and my energy/speed is then set to zero or negative value?
    Math/coding again:
    If speed/energy is in number from range [0 to 2^32/2^64] then my energy perhaps was 0 or close to 0, got no time to do anything before i died.
    If number range for speed/energy value is [-2^31/-2^63 to 2^31/2^63] then my speed/energy was set to negative value so i can never do anything again?

Total energy can overflow to a very negative value.

I was not able to reproduce your issue with quickling queens being faster than the character at 1000+ speed.

Speed higher than the energy cost of your most expensive action is useless. That will be 1000 in most cases, possibly lower if you have energy cost discounts, possibly higher if you have stiff muscles or want to use higher energy actions.
    Last edited by Grond; 12-29-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Grond thank you again for fast replay and information.
    In my next game for that specific goal I will keep my speed at 900-950.

Last question is about minimal speed value.
    Speed 10 is lowest value i was ever able to get with one of my characters. Is it possible to go below 10?

It's not possible to have less than 10 speed. You can reduce the character's base speed value into the negatives, but it won't do anything other than make it take more to increase.