Thread: YAVP after few years and thoughts about Thief class and new version of ADOM

Arrow YAVP after few years and thoughts about Thief class and new version of ADOM

I've won the game with a lot of classes. Archer, Barbarian, Healer, Monk, Priest, Weaponsmith and Duelist were easy. Bard, Farmer, Merchant, Mindcrafter, Necromancer and Wizard hard first, then easy, Beastfighter the other way around. Fighter, Paladin and Ranger bland. Thief is generally considered as a weak version of Assassin and for long time I thought the same. His skillset is nothing special, can't fight or cast spells in the beginning. I had to agree. But then, when reading IGB it struck me that the class actually quite nicely adapts with HP, PP, weapon to hit and ability to read spellbooks. So I tried it. And was disappointed.

And then I completely changed my mind.

I like to take on Raider Lord and Cute Dog quests and try to finish it. With Thief class, especially High Elven, it was next to impossible, I've lost ~20 characters trying to finish it. But then I had the luck to find Goblin Camp close to Terinyo and I found out that High Elven Thief is excellent with missiles (well, it shouldn't be a surprise, somehow it was). The gal died before visiting CoC but knowing that and adding on top a few PV talents I finally taken care of Kranach, the puppy didn't make it though. Then it went all more or less the standard way. A few thoughts though.

1. Since ADOM 1.1.1 the experience gaining system is broken. Including experience gaining talents. Thief is among less XP demanding classes, High Elf is medium. After dealing with the Snake from Beyond I'm a well-known champion and I'm OK with that. After killing ACW, Master Summoner and ASB I'd expect I'm well-known hero and after killing Nuurag I should be well-known legend. But I was level 32 when entering D50 and I left it at level 40. Really, should I care with Thief's better item pickpocketing after killing Nuurag and +20 to Speed after dealing with Fistinarius?

2. Thief class powers are really very good. The level 6 automatic search is good all the time and can save life and items throughout the game, including Mana Temple. Backstabbing with dagger backstabbing bonus can make wonders in tight places if you don't have enough slaying missiles or have to kill doppelganger. I didn't use stealing from shops because it somehow sounds for me like a sudden death from a coin throw or from dooming so YMMV. But stun opponent on critical hit is extremely useful, it made my fights a lot easier in the endgame. Better pickpocketing would be handy earlier. +20 speed is very good. Late invisibility is weak because by that time you've got a lot of invisibility potions, rings etc. so it's just a nice to have. Overall very strong powers. Then the early access to Detect Traps, Disarm Traps and Pick Locks is a lifesaver. Alertness is a lifesaver since midgame too.

3. Pickpocketing has been nerfed and that was wrong. It's ridiculous that extremely experienced thief has to try several times to pickpocket anyone. With the "better pickpocketing" talent it became good enough though. For me the most important thing from the skill is the heap of holy water, without the skill there's always a shortage of it.

4. I was very lucky with this game. Before ToEF I had almost everything I needed: bracers of regeneration, 7LB, phase dagger, tower adamantium shield and Find Weakness skill from a potion. One thing I missed was the ring of ice. I've found a wand of wishing with 5 charges in my pocket so wished for the ring, staff of purifying, Concentration and cute dog. I left the Drakalor Chain with two wishes left.

5. ToEF is still very hard. Numerous fire giant kings and plain fire elementals were hitting me hard. Before I was able to go into ToEF with 7LB and bracers of regeneration, I had very tough time there and had to escape a few times. ACW was easier than the other monsters thanks to Alertness.

6. Silver Tongue and Natural Trader skills are useless. No shop was generated in CoC below Dwarftown for me. Good Learner and Great Lerner are not helpful either. Stealthy is essential for good pickpocketing though.

7. Background corruption is faster with the newer version. Without wand of wishing I would be in a serious trouble because of that. But that probably is OK.

8. In late game with the class power of stunning opponents and with the ring of Master Cat I was crit+stun every humanoid frequently with whip of penetration. Then I've found Silence of the Dead and it was good enough in D:50.

9. Silence of the Dead wasn't good enough in Air Temple and Earth temple. The Master Summoner summoned a bunch of quickling queens and they took me 1/4 of HP every turn, I had to pray while running for my life without all the valuables I dropped to save it from lightnings. That was very close. Fortunately wand of fireballs with +15 Willpower took care of these monsters. Another close call was with a Galeon Sysi master swordsman, he just refused to die.

10. The silver key crowning gift is nice - it doesn't take up any wearable slots while can ease some fights with the new doors. But nothing special.

11. Concentration for Thief could be very nice, he's able to learn and cast spells better than Paladin, Archer or Weaponsmith, almost as good as Healer and Bard. I didn't use it much but going down the Rift could change that.

Currently #464 on the http://rogueleague.org/highscores list.

my only win with a thief was with a hurthling

I like to take on Raider Lord and Cute Dog quests and try to finish it. With Thief class, especially High Elven, it was next to impossible, I've lost ~20 characters trying to finish it. But then I had the luck to find Goblin Camp close to Terinyo and I found out that High Elven Thief is excellent with missiles
    and yes, the goblin camp does make a difference!
    Rocks for hurthlings!

(I think I even remember supporting the goblin camp idea when it was invented)