Thread: Dark Grey j's

Default Dark Grey j's

I play my characters in a rotational kinda system... I've never won but I've got 2 who are past the ToEF and have a real shot at winning. I used to have 3 until 15 minutes ago.

Anyway, I had this 26th level Necromancer, wielding Executor, and I was walking through D:39. There was a small room in the corner I wanted to explore, with a grey ooze near the door that I took out with no problem. The room was empty, and when I walked out there was another grey ooze.... the original one must have replicated. So I walked up to it and took it out with Executor.

But no! It was a stone ooze! They look nearly alike... argh! I slightly damaged it with my swing, and it proceeded to paralyze me and take me out in two rounds.

The character who just died scored over a million points. My second place character has 200,000. That's the quality of the character I just lost... I had taken out an Eternium Golem just 5 minutes before, and the Cat Lord 5 minutes before that.

All I hear about are Titans and the ACW and sometimes the Cat Lord. None of those things have ever killed me - why don't Stone Oozes get more writeup as being suck? 2 of my top 5 have been killed by them, and I've only ever killed one in return. I've never once been swung at by a stone ooze and not died.
    I am averaging one win for every 10 years of play.

Getting paralyzed can be a killer even from a weaker monster, some protection against is probably something to take care if possible. If you had pets they will have take busy and killed the stone ooze easily.

I my DOS version, I notice stone oozes right away. I always switch to my amulet of free action in that very moment... I have yet to die to a stone ooze. Still, you know how they say that if you place a monkey in front of a typewriter, he will have written the bible eventually? If you place a human in front of a computer running ADOM, he will have died every death imaginable eventually...
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

After this, I damn near lost my first ever winner as he was heading back up to the surface in a similar fashion. What saved me is that the Ooze was scared off by my unholy aura after paralyzing me.

I run the DOS version too, via a command prompt. It's not that Stone Oozes look that identical to Grey Oozes, they're lighter in color, but they're rare enough and Grey Oozes are common enough that for me, I'm quick to assume that it's a grey ooze without thinking about it.

But I can equate that to real life... certain kinds of Oozes probably wouldn't look all that much different from each other. It's easy to imagine a real adventurer making a mistake like that.

What's hard about Stone Oozes vs. other paralyzing creatures is that they never seem to miss, they never seem to hit you and not paralyze you, and they hit hard enough to take out a paralyzed character without help.

If I can't seem to avoid doing this, maybe I'll start using an amulet of free action as my 'default' amulet instead of the ankh. The ankh is nice, but no-one ever died directly from not wearing it.

Yeah, what you said makes sense; the oozes that I saw in real life are equaly easily mistaken. I wouldnt know which is which til I stepped on one while camping with a friend once. It was dark, my wristwatch was showing 2am. I was yawny and everything. It zapped me, got bored and left, and I stayed like that til morning. My friend thought that I was asleep.

The oozes ingame are much easier to handle - you simply start noticing them and everything will be okay! Like, every time you see a monochrome ooze, stop there and LOOK. It's not quite worth wearing that amulet instead of ankh (because ankh gives you about 8 luck, which basically adds +8 to all your skillchecks and attack and damage and DV and PV and other various checks thruout the game).

Silfir: make that line a bit more compact, and put it as your sig. You'll possibly make a plenty of people smile, like you just made me.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
    Yeah, what you said makes sense; the oozes that I saw in real life are equaly easily mistaken. I wouldnt know which is which til I stepped on one while camping with a friend once. It was dark, my wristwatch was showing 2am. I was yawny and everything. It zapped me, got bored and left, and I stayed like that til morning. My friend thought that I was asleep.
    My goodness... did I write something that could be responded to with that? I've been playing this game too much lately!
    Last edited by Worst Player... ever; 04-19-2008 at 03:30 AM.