Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character set

Default Character set

Thomas, are you going to be using the classic ASCII character set that you used in ADOM, or are you going into Unicode territory? For instance, using the pilcrow sign "?" for a street sign, or perhaps an axe.

This site is useful: http://www.decodeunicode.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Scienceman123 View Post
    Thomas, are you going to be using the classic ASCII character set that you used in ADOM, or are you going into Unicode territory? For instance, using the pilcrow sign "?" for a street sign, or perhaps an axe.

This site is useful: http://www.decodeunicode.org/
    Yep, unicode would be a nifty character set for JADE but the extended ASCII might be sufficient.

The whole idea behind the roguelike graphics is that uses symbols instead of pictures. So in first it's difficult to learn all these signs but after some time it's very transparent and very quick to understand what's on the screen (very similar are army signs or meteorologic signs). I think the Unicode is not only possibility. There are ways how you can create your own fonts (and it means symbols for fountain, tree, orc, axe, sword etc.) I always dream about roguelike which has its own font with unique symbols. I believe this'll be the next generation roguelike.

Good old ASCII works for me, but to be honest I don't really think it makes a huge difference.

But here's a question. In ADOM, the color of your @ was determined by class. JADE, on the other hand, will have no classes, so you do you determine color? I can think of a few ways. One, have color linked to armor, so a clean robe produces a white @, leather armor produces a brown @, and plate mail produces a gray @.

Another alternative is let the player choose his @'s color. If that's what happens, I call pink.

Perhaps you could run ADOM/JADE in wingdings font and see what happens. Haha!

If I was writing the program, I would seriously consider using the Chinese Hanzi to represent the monsters etc.. They're square and fit the roguelike genre perfectly, eg. dragon could be 龍 (traditional) or 龙 (simplified) (for those who can see it). The downside is, you'll have to learn a bit of Chinese, the upside is, you'll have to learn a bit of Chinese! But I'm not writing the program. (:

Perhaps the color is determined by race? It would make more sense after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post

If I was writing the program, I would seriously consider using the Chinese Hanzi to represent the monsters etc.. They're square and fit the roguelike genre perfectly, eg. dragon could be 龍 (traditional) or 龙 (simplified) (for those who can see it). The downside is, you'll have to learn a bit of Chinese, the upside is, you'll have to learn a bit of Chinese! But I'm not writing the program. (:
    I dont like these ideas. In my opinion, ASCII is enough.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post

Let's keep the normal letters please... everyone knows that a red D es a red dragon...
    I never won a Adom game...

I like the idea of certain cool-looking exotic characters for high-powered or individual enemies, especially Hebrew characters for rare demons (molochs are biblical creatures after all). If new enemies are introduced, such as some of the powerful lawful and neutral monsters suggested in another thread, then it might make sense to give them new individual characters. Would have to make sure all PCs supported them though, and we'd have to enable Unicode on this forum...

Molochs aren't biblical creatures. There is a pagan god "Moloch", but that's as close as you get.