Thread: Time problem

Default Time problem

Why not incorporate it into the main quest that time has ceased to pass in Arcadia? Women could have been pregnant for 50 years now, an old dying king could have decided he has had enough of being bedridden and would like for this curse to be over with - and have hired a hero from a foreign land to come rid the region of it.

Just an idea. Probably brings with it far too many practical problems to be worth much (what is the effect on the economy? on crime?) and if adom is anything to go by I'm sure the venerable Thomas Biskup has come up with far better storyline ideas by now. It does fix the whole NPC/Aging thing.

Time has ceased to pass exactly how? Sorry but that doesn't exactly make sense, if I understood it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    Time has ceased to pass exactly how? Sorry but that doesn't exactly make sense, if I understood it right.
    by some powerfull magic, chaos or other forces. That make sense...

... unfortunatly its a bad storyline for rougelike imho and particulary for JADE :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pustka View Post
    by some powerfull magic, chaos or other forces. That make sense...

... unfortunatly its a bad storyline for rougelike imho and particulary for JADE :P
    If time stopped, everyone and everything would be frozen

not nessesarily ;P that depends what assumptions we take on how the 'time' was stopped. remember its fantasy ;> dont apply our world physics to it

I worded it badly. No, time hasn't stopped of course but by some powerful chaotic force people have stopped aging. Everything else goes on, but every day people wake up and haven't aged at all.

A child born in 1800 is still a child in the year 2000.
    A woman who was pregnant in the year 1800 still hasn't given birth in 2000.
    The old man who was sick and bedridden is still in his bed, 200 years later.
    Nobody ages at all.

It's kind of a neat concept, imo, but I'm afraid it would really dominate the whole world - as in, it would be all anyone talks about - kind of like a bad version of the JRPG thing where the whole town is talking about the mines where a monster has appeared - but then with an entire world of people all talking about this curse.

Unless, hmm, if it had been a really long time like this, I expect people would have been used to it by now and take it for granted.

It could also be used to explain the hero's rapid healing skills, where he just stands still and searches for hidden rooms for 50 turns and miraculously recovers all his broken bones.

People could still die, but anything save killing them results in complete regeneration in a few hours.

I dunno. I would use it myself and write a roguelike around if I wasn't programlanguage-ically impaired.

I'd rather a game simply ignored such a situation than came up with an artificial story element to magic away program flaws.

Also it is wholly opposite to the forces of chaos to stop people aging - chaos is all about change! Corrupting, influencing, competing, warring, dominating, destroying - these are the fun things that Chaos stands for. No, much more sensible would be that the Avatar of Order from ADOM who killed Andor Drakon has stopped all death and decay in Ancardia. Now Chaos is rearing it demented head again, but this time to free the races from their shackles of timelessness! Of course people object to this, fearing change and not wanting to die and stuff, whilst others are sick of their unchanging lives and would welcome a bloody revolution in the world. Will the PC help the heroic forces of Chaos to bring back change and freedom to the all, or continue to help the oppressive pillars of order dominate all life on Ancardia? You decide!

(Of course the Balance position might be some medium - like giving the gods and some of the races (lets say the elves) a land of undying in the west, whilst the remainder of the races stick around in the rest of the world (let's call it middle-earth) warring over jewels and rings and stuff. Maybe some of the humans could be given a star-shaped land in the middle of the ocean where they can have longer lives. Any other original ideas anyone...?)

Eww, I would say its a bug not a feature.

Think about it: first, you have a roguelike without time. Then, you implement time. Then, you disable it????
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/