Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Deaths

Default My Deaths

I'll keep a record of my dumber deaths here.
    Just now my Grey Elven Priest Carari died from a writhing mass of primal chaos. Damn, first I stepped into two corruption traps just a few paces away from eachother - then this? On level five of the Mad Carpenter dungeon, aswell. Madness. I who just had found a neat blessed weapon and a hexagonal key.
    Two deaths before that, a stone block randomly hitting me in the head instantly killing me. And there's always the good old "you broke your leg kicking a wall" - also instant death.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaine View Post
    --
    Just now my Grey Elven Priest Carari died from a writhing mass of primal chaos. Damn, first I stepped into two corruption traps just a few paces away from eachother - then this?
    --
    Most likely a monster wandered in the area thus getting corrupted and eventually transforming into a WMoPC.

These monsters can be killed at low character levels with missiles and spells due to their relatively low hit points if you can move faster than them. It's important to not let them get close since they have got a slowing attack.

Yeah, I kinda figured that.
    Just now an excellent knight of mine died. Accidentally drank the cursed potion of rust removal while in the puppy cave. Is there any way to cure poison except for rushing for Jharod? I just kept going into the dungeon, found a puddle of water (5 hitpoints left then) and drowned myself. Quite odd, I was a fair swimmer.

For fighting poison you probably already know but anyway here is the list I have to think when poisoned:
    - Be poison resistant... before! Eating some corpse do the job but I think that survive poisoning also do it, not sure for this last one.
    - Increase your health regeneration, also before but if your life is in danger you could attempt use potion ot Troll Bloos unblessed if you can't bless them. But if you can, bless them before.
    - Some items (rings/amulets) increase health regeneration.
    - Use your First Aid skill after each poison attack.
    - Potions of cure poison.
    - Scrolls/Books of cure poison/Slow poison
    - Herb alraunia antidote.
    - Anything that heal, like healing potions/books/some herbs.
    - Wear item that brings you poison resistance like the crown of leadership, the alchemist gloves, whip of the snake or the ancient mummy wrapping. (not sure this is working after you get poisoned, but I would attempt it if life in danger).
    - And finally Jharod, if you are in VC, otherwise I doubt any poison will last so long that you can get to him from another dungeon.

Argh!
    Just had a human fighter doing great, who died of starvation!
    Starting I was born in the month of the Dragon (that's ok) and I got a perfect appearance (matching my real) / background in the beginning. I rolled great attributes, for once I got a literate fighter.
    I took the talents I prefer having: Alert (started with it), Learned (started with it just to make sure I'd be literate), miser and treasure hunter.
    Well in-game I found unusal lots of gold, a round key quite quickly (didn't have use for it), a neat hooded cloak, a ring of protection, some undoubtably useful wands and a spellbook (didn't have use for the wands or the spellbook since I died so early though). Quite lucky.
    Everything went on without complications (encountered my first jackalwere too, was quite fun) and I completed the Yrrigs quest, learned healing. Then unfortunately on my way out, on dungeon level 1, I starved to death. I ran through the larger rooms on the top four levels looking for monsters to kill, and I probably slayed over a dozen - not a single corpse. I hate it when you die out of pure bad luck.

Did you try to pray at your god? He might satiate you by divine mana. Quite a life saver

For corpses, raise your food preservation skill as fast you can, raising it over 75 will give you a waaay greater chance to find corpses... over 90 it will happen again.

I think that those are the exact values, not sure.
    I never won a Adom game...

No all character have food preservation. I know that strained means eat more but at the beginning if I can I buy two large ration or even iron rations and put them near stairs when leaving a level.

About praying for satiation, damit, I'm afraid I also got a character starved to death who still had praying.

I had yet another stupid death, a stupid one. A troll beastfighter, prooves that ADoM has a terrible sense of humor.
    So, under what circumstances did I die? I had 7777 points and had Level 7, it was also the seventh day and I had played over seven thousand turns. I had visited seven-teen places and had killed twohundred-seven-tyeight monsters.
    I was poison resistant, cold resistant, acid resistant - doomed and cursed (that's bad, right?).
    I was slightly tainted by Chaos, from a level full of chaos sisters and such.
    So, while walking around the swamps I encounter my old mortal enemy - the hydra. So I decide I try just a hit to see if I can beat it after all this time. Turns out I couldn't. In one turn I was attacked, stunned, poisoned over and over again 'til I had 5 health left (out of a total of 100 which I all had before the blow), and got killed staggering from the blow (cowarding, trying to escape).
    I had lots of herbs, but I have no clue what they do or how to use them other than eating (demon daisies sting, I have learned from bitter experience) and I got the waterproof blanket, completed the Yrrigs quest, Puppy quest and was heading for CoC.

Anyhow, I never pray to the gods - nor offer them anything, I don't even spell them with captial G. I usually only find non-aligned altars, and even that is rare for me. I don't think they'd satiate me for no reason, more like blast lightning down my spine for moaning at them.
    The Food Preservation 75 - 100 is some quite useful tips. I always level it equal to my other skills, but perhaps I should prioritize skilling up in it.

EDIT: No, my lucky number is 8. Probably why all the sevens didn't work. I had killed 7 bats aswell, the one corpse I deem fully safe to eat.
    Last edited by Chaine; 04-17-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaine
    doomed and cursed (that's bad, right?)
    Very bad . You can always remove doom and curse by sacrificing stuff/monsters on coaligned altar(however you'll need to sacrifice quite a lot in order to remove those instricts)