Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ...More Role Playing...

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I think you have to consider that roguelikes are not like other RPG games in this regard. In a game you're going to play hundreds of times this sort of thing will get tedious. It would be fun the first (few) times it shows up, but being asked, for the 100th time what I want to do with the beggar would either lead me to curse the inclusion of this feature, or more likely just pick what I knew up front would lead to the reward I needed at the time without it leading to more immersion on my part.

I agree ! +1
    Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'?me (rabelais)

Dieu ne joue pas aux d?s (Einstein)

you want to fight me?!

I think you have to consider that roguelikes are not like other RPG games in this regard. In a game you're going to play hundreds of times this sort of thing will get tedious. It would be fun the first (few) times it shows up, but being asked, for the 100th time what I want to do with the beggar would either lead me to curse the inclusion of this feature, or more likely just pick what I knew up front would lead to the reward I needed at the time without it leading to more immersion on my part.
    Quote Originally Posted by M_bowwarrior View Post
    I agree ! +1
    to be honest, it's the same even about the opening question system; I always choose random stats anyway.

It is a good idea, but you should actually have to do the options instead of being given them in a list. The beggar can say "please give me some money" but you actually have to 'g'ive him a ration, gold, kill him, or mock his plight (give him what you know to be cursed food/equipment)
    Last edited by F50; 04-23-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Nice idea F50, but you could already do it all in ADOM as is. He asks for money/food in ADOM when you talk to him. Except that nothing changes if you give him cursed food, but give him poisonous and see what happens. You're about 6 years late with the idea, grats.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Of course there can also be flavor messages that are generated when you walk past a beggar for example. "A beggar pleads for money". They'd be no more annoying than all the other messages there's tons of, like "you hear the cries of a large crowd" etc. This could also be used for more useful purposes, like guards saying "Halt right there!" when you go to a certain doorway, and attack if you still proceed.

Yeah! You should finally be able to talk to others at a distance... and also be talked to, at times.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Actually there are some lines like the ones I was thinking in ADOM already - Rehetep speaking when you enter the top floor of The Pyramid. Though actually I can't think of anything else at the moment...

And yes, speaking to someone not directly next to you would make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    Actually there are some lines like the ones I was thinking in ADOM already - Rehetep speaking when you enter the top floor of The Pyramid. Though actually I can't think of anything else at the moment...

And yes, speaking to someone not directly next to you would make life easier.
    Another example could be (though it's kind of different) picking up the Water Dragon's loot. And...

Does anyone else think it would be ten types of awesome if upon entering the pyramid you hear the disembodied voice of Rehetep saying 'Stay a while... Stay forever!'?