Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How lucky/unlucky will you be able to get in JADE?

Talking How lucky/unlucky will you be able to get in JADE?

After re-reading ADOI (like more than a year after i first found it), I was thinking that it would be amusing (as well as possibly good for debugging), if the luck factor could be taken to extreme levels, much like how unlucky Travis is. Near the beginning, when he can't move without being crushed, trapped, hurt, burned, ect. are just funny (mostly because he lived), but could also really be an interesting play style change for players. Having to worry about cursedom, because it can become so much more than numbers fudged against you would really be interesting. At least it would be fun to toy with.

Java-based Ancient Domains Engine.

As an engine, jade should have all these principal parameters included in a simple config file.

So all you should need to do if to find where the mod (or the date files you are going to use) stores this variable and change it.
    I never won a Adom game...

As an engine, jade should have all these principal parameters included in a simple config file.
    Should, but not necessarily. A lot of developers make full use of creative liberties when it comes to words like "engine", and I suspect maybe Thomas just wanted to use the term so he could spell JADE, anyway. I do expect customization to the extent of basic variables, as seen in ADOM. That said, however, I think anything deeply rooted in the finer mechanics of gameplay will be left closed to the public.

Wink

Regarding the thread title, speaking fom my ADOM experence, you need all the luck you can get, unlucky = suicide.
    Bigger world, more features, more variables = more ways for the RNG to screw ye over.

Of course, luck as an externalized variable for each game makes for a nice "Difficulty Slider" for JADE.
    Not sure if it is a thing I really want for this game, tho'.

Nah... No difficulty slider, please. What would be funny to see would be when one starts a game, they're prompted with a difficulty selection with only one option: "Impossibly, stupidly difficult.". Or rather, to cut out the tedium seeing that over and over would cause, make it appear in one out of one-hundred games... Hah... Just rambling, though, I guess.

Or when completing the game you can unlock the "Travis" mode for Wizards
    What a deliciously boring signature.

I would call it "nightmare mode"... when the world itself wants to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    I would call it "nightmare mode"... when the world itself wants to kill you.

1 step...

An elder god comes from another dimension and eats you.
    I never won a Adom game...

Quote Originally Posted by theotherhiveking View Post
    1 step...

An elder god comes from another dimension and eats you.
    That is more unfair than my current signature! :D

You rub the blessed ring of djinni summoning. The ring was poisoned! You die...
    Last edited by Laukku; 04-26-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

No:

the world itself wants to kill you
    But it wont get you. You should always have a way out.