Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Game: Back to the Beginning

1) 672 trey. Level 1 high elven thief (M). 16 xps. 86 moves.
    He got his smashed by a stone block.

I notice no difference from my normal ADOM games : )
    That's actually what the gory 'details...' said:
    "He got his smashed by a stone block."
    Um, he got his what smashed by a stone block?

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    "He got his smashed by a stone block."
    Um, he got his what smashed by a stone block?
    You don't want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by ADOM
    Pick up the strange item [ynq]?
    Yay. Chose "no", however.

EDIT: Died 20 seconds after that.

Code:
    1712   Epythic. Level 2 trollish fighter (M). 371 xps. 437 moves.
           He was killed by a displacer beast.
    ...descended as far as level 5, where he met his final fate... 22 monsters perished before him...
    Last edited by Epythic; 03-13-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Heh, everyone's dying horribly, exactly like I expected... Still, it is kinda fun and weird looking back at this old feature. It's a marvel that so many of today's features are in there (like text output that is the same word for word), and yet fascinating the number of major differenes too.

I'd really like to see TB try this out

Isn't 0.2.0 supposed to be unwinnable anyway? Isn't it more of a "see how far you can go" thing?
    Top Score in ADOM: 10.1M- Normal victory (Male Dwarven Paladin)

King of All Dwarves.

Haven't a clue, but I wouldn't be surprised. That's what we were trying anyway - didn't expect anyone to get particularly far.

Quote Originally Posted by deepshock View Post
    Isn't 0.2.0 supposed to be unwinnable anyway? Isn't it more of a "see how far you can go" thing?
    It always crashes on the metaplane level (IIRC). The closest thing to winning is to commit suicide on D:99 (the second last level).
    Last edited by Laukku; 03-16-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Code:
     1)*     1470 Kurivaim. Level 2 dwarven paladin (M). 254 xps. 569 moves.
                  He was killed by a booby-trapped door.
    Died on level 3. The funny thing is I checked that door for traps a few dozen times before kicking it, and found nothing. I guess that's what a 17% 'Detect Traps' skill will do for you.

This guy at least did better than my first attempt, a trollish fighter who found an anthive in the very first room and was slaughtered by giant ant warriors shortly thereafter.

Great idea for a thread, by the way.

This is the best idea for a challenge game ever and I would like to bump this old thread and see if this thing can get rolling again. I also secretly hope that this might entice TB to deliver on his sort-of-promise to one day fix the metaplane crash and release a winnable "0.2.0 gamma 1" version.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

I also secretly hope that this might entice TB to deliver on his sort-of-promise to one day fix the metaplane crash and release a winnable "0.2.0 gamma 1" version.
    Perhaps a Windows port? I've played 0.2.0 inside DOSBox a few times, but it was too laggy for my taste.

Everything was so different, yet very similar. Dying to a stone block trap and realizing this bane of low-level ADOM PCs has been there since the very beginning was comforting, in a twisted sort of way. And you were able to start with things like cursed leather armor [+0, -4]!

PS: I definitely wouldn't mind having a 100-level CoC once again!
    "And light there be!"