Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvesting from corpses

I personally enjoyed the realism of needing food in ADOM.

yeah, me too. Yet I agree about the nasty part of eating all those raw corpses. As a solution I'd hope more for some sicknesses which could occur to most races when eating rotten food or raw food. As a compensation, there might be quite some food stores/markets in villages, or even a wilderness encounter with merchants (on a road, I guess). For eating corpses, I assume something like the "don't eat the kobold" rules of ADOM will be implemented - if food will be implemented, that is.

I have no objections against cannibalism (in the game that is ), though it would be nice if it will slowly turn you chaotic (Maybe less when starving).

I like the idea of having to Butcher a corpse before eating it. Having more advanced skills/knowledge in butchery/monster lore could give you a higher chance of recovering certain parts with magical properties.

I do think eating raw corpses it rather barbaric for a L+ high elf priest to be doing but the PC should be able to do it if they want. Maybe reducing the frequency that the PC needs to eat would make it less tiresome to cook your food and adding a very small alignment drop to eating uncooked corpses.

I think that the corpse eating mechanics should remain the same...It is a very important part of the genre. I would not opposed to some moderate(or even severe) alignment issues when a L+ paladin eats a dwarf child though

Food is a very important part of this game. Heck i would not even be opposed to including water/beverages as part of the game.

Just my thoughts though!

I actually like the corpse-eating mechanics of ADOM. I don't think more complicated versions such as the DCSS mechanics requiring butchering actually add much apart from having to press more keys.

Cannibalism should definitely be possible, but I think it should alter your alignment very significantly. No one should go around eating outlaw corpses and still be considered lawful.

I also like the OP's idea. I think it's compatible with ADOM's corpse system (e.g. killing a unicorn could drop both a corpse and a horn).
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 09-09-2011 at 08:32 AM.

many cultures have seen cannibalism as normal throughout history, especially during times of famine. it shouldn't be chaotic or evil for everyone, and all animals except humans take their meat raw not cooked, so i don't think that making the PC sick makes sense for every race, and most humans will build a tolerance to raw meat after eating it for some time. maybe give the PC diarrhea. hahahahah

this raises an interesting concept, the idea of fasting from meat (lent kind of thing) for certain lawfuls, monks or priests, maybe bards and druids might have to be vegetarian to tap into certain powers.

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    As to the whole cannibalism thing, should depend on race (as it is now in ADOM), as orcses would be more liberal at eating their kin than more sophisticated races. I also think the ADOM 'you feel uneasy' and '-foo doesn't sit well with you' messages sum it all up pretty well.

As to the OP, take a look at my long forgotten (but not really old) thread:
    http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=61

Maybe it could all work together and make a nice, detailed RFE?
    Yes, please. Make a detailed RFE. 0.2.0 does not yet have corpses (but only standard food) but it has the new "item processing" command. Thus allowing to process corpses into something else would be a nice addition to the 0.2.x line.
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com