Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link Challenge Game - Sign Up!

whose gonna decide what sort of char is created? The first person on the list?

edit: one important issue is if the PC is going to have Healing ab initio
    Last edited by reich; 05-17-2008 at 10:13 PM.

The character will be a priest of random race, starsign and gender. I will create the initial character and make a save of that character at the mouth of the caverns of infinity, then post that save on the forums for every group to start with. I guess that means I'll also choose the initial talents - out of what tends to be popular choice I'll likely make that Alert (with Long Stride and Healthy being options if we start with more than 1 talent). Other suggestions are welcome here, but it shouldn't matter too much since everyone starts with the same thing. Obviously during play people will have to make their own decisions on talent choices and kill increases during level-ups, and in that case people will just be allowed to choose whatever they want.

yeah, priest is a universal enough a character to be suited for most players. Although a physically feeble race with no offensive spells might be quite problematic.

I tried out this 'tactical display' thing. It seems 2000 turns is quite a lot of in-game time (provided someone uses a standard display). It's enough to deal with about 6 dungeon levels, while exploring them entirely. In the ID the levels as soon as 10-15 can become quite deadly for inexperienced characters. This means we're gonna probably have the first weakest link by the time the third or fourth person takes the reins.

With tension rooms, summoners and breeders 2000 turns can end up feeling a lot shorter. It's enough time by far to ensure being able to find the down stairs, and that's the important thing. I imagine players will be extremely cautious, which means exploring levels and killing monsters slowly, and not going deeper than they have to. Many will choose to go down the stairs and then just stay on that one level for the rest of their turns to be safe. Certainly early depths and deaths are possible, but we'll see how it pans out.

Many will choose to go down the stairs and then just stay on that one level for the rest of their turns to be safe.

Or, even better, stay on the level until their 1999th turn and then will descend the stairs.

Also, about Alert, I suppose we aren't choosing it for Missile Weapon Master. In that case, I think Alert might not be a good choice. TH might bring some benefit in the long run, but it is possible to find an eternium long sword of devastation anyway, or at least something decent - and this challenge is gonna be hard anyways. We should choose something that will help low to mid-term survival (even something like Quick, for speed).

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Many will choose to go down the stairs and then just stay on that one level for the rest of their turns to be safe.

Or, even better, stay on the level until their 1999th turn and then will descend the stairs.

Also, about Alert, I suppose we aren't choosing it for Missile Weapon Master. In that case, I think Alert might not be a good choice. TH might bring some benefit in the long run, but it is possible to find an eternium long sword of devastation anyway, or at least something decent - and this challenge is gonna be hard anyways. We should choose something that will help low to mid-term survival (even something like Quick, for speed).
    I' pick Healthy and Long Stride.

Yesterday evening I tried it in "singleplayer mode". Was not careful, c killed me on level 7 (after 1200 turns). Anyway, *love* the raven starsign for the +10 speed. Not that it helped me in melee

Crossing my fingers for that starsign.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

I have to say, even 1000 turns are plenty for one dungeon level.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I better make that clear - I did not want to say that we should lower the turnits limit.

2000 turns is ok I think, its always bad to do things in a hurry, and you don't *have* to use 1999 turns.

(i know I'm not a participant.. anyway, my 0,02€)hurry.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Okay, I'm here and I'm ready.

I think in the lower levels sitting in one spot for 2000 turns will cause powerful monsters to come to you, even if you dont come to them. Especially if the PC is doomed, this strategy might work against the player.