Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Other RPG's

Default The Other RPG's

Being a huge fan of RPG's in general here, I was just wondering what other people enjoy and have played that is not ADOM =p

I'm actually looking for a great RPG myself right now, like for PS2/PS1, so if anyone has any ideas, throw 'em at me!

I've already seen most of the Tales of ... series of games, and would personally recommend Abyss and Symphonia, I have played most of the Final Fantasy's (some i loved, some were annoying), Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, The Legend of Dragoon, dabbled in the Star Ocean series (it was ok to me), played the Disgaea series of games, all the Baldur's Gate (no offense to ADOM, but BG2:SoA is imo the best RPG ever) games, KotOR series, among others that slip my mind right now.

You can see the problem I have finding new games, eh?
    Any ideas are appreciated, and I'd be happy to discuss the other RPG's pros and cons =)
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

I'm surprised you've only listed console RPGs there. I enjoy many myself (in particular FF3, 4 and 7, Wild ARMs and several of the Breath of Fire games) but PC RPGs often give a more immersive experience - in particular allowing a more open world with a lot more to explore and a lot more ways to develop your character.

Fallout has to be my biggest recommendation, for a really great and varied environment, with a lot of ways to solve different tasks. Morrowind is good for a huge detailed world to explore - not without its flaws, but it can suck you in for months (Oblivion on the other hand isn't quite as good). I keep hearing awesome things about Planescape: Torment, but haven't had a chance to give it a proper run yet.

Of course nothing beats ADOM, but the commercial RPGs can offer certain things it lacks

I've played both Morrowind and Oblivion, played at least one of the Wild ARMs games (i played and beat 2 thoroughly, and my sister has the remade version of 1 that i may play).

I don't know what you mean by no PC RPG's though. I mentioned BG2:SoA (Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn) as being my favorite RPG ever, and I played KotOR on the PC. I guess i forgot to mention that I have played BG1, Icewind Dale series, Dungeon Hack (yay MS-DOS), Eye of the Beholder (again!), and Neverwinter Nights on the computer.

Fallout I have not played, how does that play out? Similar to the Elder Scrolls games, but better? Planescape's also been one I'd like to get myself, but i have trouble finding downloads/torrents of it, much less a real copy (unless I want to spend as much money as I would spend on two XBOX360 games).
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Some RPGs I've played:

Neverwinter Nights - seemed good at first but got boring. I liked the character creation part but the actual game felt somehow shallow. The game module editor is nifty though.
    BG series - I liked it... many years ago. One could call the series genre-defining. I've been trying to play through the whole series but ADOM-related things seem to take up most of my time.
    World of Warcraft - the only MMORPG I've played this far (well, to be honest I've played Ultima Online a few minutes). Player vs. Environment part is mostly boring, full of grinding and not very rewarding. PvP, on the hand, was the best it could offer in my case.

Planescape: Torment is the best rpg ever in terms of storytelling and literary experience! It is worth any money on eBay, you won't regret it!! People got this game's logo tattooed on their skin, you know?!

Also Arcanum is a great game, it's basically Fallout in a steampunk setting. A very developed world and tons of options in playing style and character developement. Hardcore rpg fans should try it.

I usually dont play the oriental console stuff but I was positively shocked at the quality of Jade Empire (I played the pc version). A very untraditional game in terms of combat and character management, but it makes it up in spades in the great character portrayal and relations and a truly epic storyline. Now I look forward to play Mass Effect from the same developers!

I'm also really fond of old school dungeon crawls, especially the Eye of Beholder series. There is something endlessly addicting in this very simple style of gameplay. You can get those games, and more, like Dungeon Master, for free as abandonware now!

> Fallout I have not played, how does that play out?

It's fairly open-ended, like Morrowind and its counterparts, but in more of a Baldur's Gate format. Definitely worth checking out. Easy to get ahold of and runs on even mediocre computers. There are also many jokes throughout the game which make it a bit more fun.

I also really like Oblivion or any other open-ended game like that. Gothic 3 is good, though with a very simple combat system. the rest of the game makes up for that, though. the leveling system takes awhile to get used to, but once you do, it's enjoyable.

Well, not having any luck with searches for good torrents of Planescape in the past, I try today and find a good one! Awesome! I also got one of Fallout going now! So this should be a fun thing to play, along with my ADOMing.

Reich: On the subject of Jade Empire, yeah, its pretty fun, but if you enjoyed it, you should go and try Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. They're built extremely similarly, and I loved them both, despite issues I had with both, lol. I don't have the 2nd one anymore, but I actually have the 1st one for my PC.
    About the old dungeon crawlers, I still have Dungeon Hack and EYe of the Beholder sitting around the house on their old floppy disks =) oh the memories.
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Reich: On the subject of Jade Empire, yeah, its pretty fun, but if you enjoyed it, you should go and try Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
    yeah, I heard about those being very good, only the Star Wars universe scared me away. But I will check them out, since they are now avaible at budget price.

I have Dungeon Master on floppy, the original issue

The Star Wars stuff puts me off KotOR too. Is there a lot of light sabers and stuff in it? I mean don't get me wrong, I loved Star Wars as a kid, but these days... well, it has a lot of bad connotations. It would be hard for me to take any Star Wars game seriously.

Bad connotations? Hrm. Enlighten me. What is it specifically about the Star Wars universe that scares you away?

On the subject of their subject matter, they take places in an era a few thousand years before the movies, with mostly new worlds, as compared to the same movies. You get a lightsaber in the game once you reach a certain point, or do a certain amount of stuff in both, and in both you have a party of two other characters that you bring into battle with you, non-jedi and jedi alike, with classes like Scoundrels, Scouts, Soldiers, and the Jedis (Guardian, Sentinel, Consular).

The RPG system is basically just like 3rd Edition D&D, you level up when you reach a certain amount of experience, gaining points to add to one of your 6 ability scores (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) every 4th level, gaining skill points to add to your skills every level, and gaining feats at intervals determined by your class. You even have prestige classes, in a way.

To end, I'll just say this. Jade Empire was good, but it was the spiritual sequel to these games, in that its entire system was built the same way this one was. If you can consider getting Mass Effect, then you have no reason to avoid these, as its more about its story and gameply rather than "It's Star Wars! Fan-service!", If you know what i mean.

Sorry for the long-windedness, I'm bad at description =P
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard