Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great games you've been playing/played!

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    EDIT: And let's not forget the graphics. I swear, I've barely kept myself from strangling some people that got all "Those graphics are pretty shitty, aren't they?" on me. Some people don't seem to be able to look beyond the surface...
    Hence why I like to use the chess analogy - people can understand that graphics/story/etc don't matter for chess, and it's easy to stretch the idea out then to other games.

The newbie guide sounds like a great idea. I have a friend that has never managed to get far in ADOM simply because he can't understand the controls (the '? k' list being incredibly unfriendly). I think it's also because he instists on playing dark elven assassins to be "cool" though...

And oh yeah, there's a real topic here... Just started playing Planescape: Torment since I've heard so many recommendations for it over the years. Not finding it easy to get into though - AD&D stat/battle system is horrendous (I've always hated it, but in computer games it's even worse because you know there's so much more potential for a complex and realistic system) and so far its done little story-wise to draw me in. I read a starters guide for the right beginning stats (since it's always annoying to find 10 levels in that you started off on completely the wrong foot) and it recommended saving before every conversation in case you make the wrong choices. Having played a bit I can see what it means, but the very thought of restoring all the time is horrendous. Still, all the recommendations much be for a good reason, so I shall perservere...

ADOM has completely transformed my saving habits... I am extremely reluctant to save for anything but ending the game now. I'd wager it's similar for you...
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I'm actually a chess player as well, I play many tournaments here where I live, although I'm not any good at it. Just that it helps me relax, and forget any kind of problems during the games.

For me, every game I've played has been great, like WoW, diablo II, DotA, CS, and things like that. But the ones I like more are Monkey Island I & II.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Hence why I like to use the chess analogy - people can understand that graphics/story/etc don't matter for chess, and it's easy to stretch the idea out then to other games.
    I've also played a lot of chess, although now I think I forgot half the stuff . Btw, anyone played Go?

And oh yeah, there's a real topic here... Just started playing Planescape: Torment since I've heard so many recommendations for it over the years. Not finding it easy to get into though - AD&D stat/battle system is horrendous (I've always hated it, but in computer games it's even worse because you know there's so much more potential for a complex and realistic system) and so far its done little story-wise to draw me in.
    Yeah, the mechanics could be better. You can go through almost all of the game without much fighting if you play it right though

I read a starters guide for the right beginning stats (since it's always annoying to find 10 levels in that you started off on completely the wrong foot) and it recommended saving before every conversation in case you make the wrong choices. Having played a bit I can see what it means, but the very thought of restoring all the time is horrendous. Still, all the recommendations much be for a good reason, so I shall perservere...
    For starters I'd really recommend a character with high mental stats, CHA/WIS/INT. That really opens up a lot more dialogue options. Don't remember if there are easily obtainable items that increase CHA like in many other AD&D games.

Ohh warheart thanks for reminding me about DotA.. I have been playing it around two years now. I play on Garena europe rooms among the "famous" people.

New version seems to be out BTW 6.53. And somekinda clockwerk as new character

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    ones I like more are Monkey Island I & II.
    Ah, the classics... I enjoy good adventure games. Sadly they usually have almost as little replay value as books/movies.

And on the subject of comparing roguelikes to board games, some strips from Dudley's Dungeon (a NetHack webcomic) strips:

http://www.nicolaas.net/dudley/index.php?f=20040823
    http://www.nicolaas.net/dudley/index.php?f=20080408
    http://www.nicolaas.net/dudley/index.php?f=20080409
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Yah chess is a pretty serious game, you can't get to that level of balance and strategy with RTS games like starcraft and stuff, no matter how balanced they are. So I just started playing Dwarf Fortress, after I found out theres a graphical tileset.. I'm really into it now, I really can't get into ADOM till JADE comes out I guess.. I played ZangbandTK for about a year back then, but its not getting updated so I stopped. :\

I've heard about Dwarf Fortress, but I don't know if I could properly get into another ASCII game, just due to the number of keybindings you have to know. I'm big on chess as well, actually. I guess anyone who's willing enough to get into ADOM seriously is a big strategy person, and you can't get much more strategic than chess.

There's a graphical tileset that made me overcome my fear of ASCII, here's the link: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

Just dl the latest version link there if you wanna try it, it has the game and graphics in it. This game's been pretty confusing, but whenever I learn to do something new I feel GREAT. Today I built a bridge that would pull upwards to one side when a lever is pulled, causing invaders on it to be flung into walls and dying.. simply awesome.

Warcraft III, Warcraft III, Warcraft III. Particularly World War Z and Jurassic Park Maps, DotA can be fun when used sparingly.