Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Great games you've been playing/played!

I'm playing Assasin's Creed PC now. Looks poor on my old gfx card, but a great game overall. Medieval Matrix!!

Beyond the MMO-super-crack that is World of Warcraft (I have three level 70 Horde characters, Spirestone-US if anyone's interested), I'm pretty big into old SNES Japanese RPGs. My favourite two games of all time are ADoM and Final Fantasy VI. While I know JRPGs are to ADoM as a pond is to the Mariana Trench in terms of strategy and difficulty and stuff, some of them actually have really great storylines and characters you can actually get to know and get close to, just like a really good book.

FFVI is one such game. It not only has a set of characters that are rounded and human (for the most part; there are a few side characters that are there for combat-weirdness, like the mime that just does whatever the last guy did and the sasquatch that you can't control in combat), but the themes dealt with in the storyline are actually very adult and real, and games before or since don't really push the envelope in terms of the heavy subject matter they contain. (I'm completely ignoring guns, violence, and blood; these are not "adult" in the sense I'm talking about.) Suicide, teen pregnancy, the loss of loved ones, and above all, real, believeable hope; these are all in the game, and all handled in a way that actually pulls at your heartstrings. Every time I watch Celes (one of the main characters) jump off that cliff halfway through the game because, as far as she knows, she's the only person left in the entire world, I still cry a little, and I've played through this game more times than I can count.

The reason I'm talking about it so much is that I'm currently playing through the remake on the Game Boy Advance and it's really awesome. They actually added new lines and content to it, as well as re-translating the original dialogue to heighten the experience even more. It's like they took my favourite fantasy novel and added 200 pages to it that are even better than the original. For anyone that can stand the JRPG game model, I highly recommend you play this.

/rant

I just started playing Morrowind a couple weeks ago. Best RPG ever. However I would also recomend the Prince of Persia Sands of Time Trilogy. Three incredible games. Not as long as Morrowind though. I would get Oblivion if my PC could handle it.

I have been hooked on Hammerfight recently. A simple idea and a lot of fun.
    Me is troll, me is moomintroll! Me likes ADoM... Me likes Dwarf Fortress... Dis two games is the ones best!

Oh, me likes zombies too!

Yay necromancy
    I've been playing Diablo 2 on and off for a while, and right now I'm going through the game by myself as a necromancer. It's quite a challenge as I keep getting instakilled by the super-uniques. Although I do enjoy blowing up masses of corpses.
    More recently I have come across this vertically-scrolling shooter called Ikaruga. It's got a surprising amount of depth that's not apparent at first look (kind of like ADOM). There are only five levels, but the game has a lot of replay value. I like Ikaruga most for its very elegant design, the artwork is very nice to look at, and the mechanics make this game not just a shoot-everything-that-moves business.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    Every time I watch Celes (one of the main characters) jump off that cliff halfway through the game because, as far as she knows, she's the only person left in the entire world, I still cry a little,
    Year-and-3-months necro-quote:

I cry just hearing her theme, because I remember what happens in that game.
    Amazing what pixels, good music and a storyline can invoke in oneself
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

Go, the board game, the Asian equivalent of chess.

HoMM II and III.

Mordor: the Depths of Dejenol, an old-school hack 'n slash.

Lands of Hyperborea, which is a brilliant mod of Dungeon Siege by Xaa.

And Leylines, a turn-based strategy game by Radiant.

Oh and sometimes I get back to Ascendancy, which is an old DOS game where you build a space empire - it has lovely style which makes me keep coming back to it, until I get too frustrated (again) by the crazy micromanagement and silly AI.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-13-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

>Go, the board game, the Asian equivalent of chess.

Man, I love that game. I used to have an excellent computer
    version of that written in assembly. It was probably the
    best version of Go I've ever tried. Sadly, it got lost in the
    file shuffle of switching computers, and it's unlikely that
    I'll be digging it up any time soon. I used to be good, but
    I've been away from it so long I've probably forgotten
    everything.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I played ADOM lately! It surely was a great game!

Further I like civilization 2 quite much atm, but that probably is because I'm very lucky with my emperor difficulty tribe.

EDIT: and I played Chess of course, at www.gameknot.com - great site.

I used to play chess tournaments irl.