Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you read Xanth series?

No, don't do it!

Forgotten Realms is better omg fanboyness. (Not really, you should actually read both series; they're an important part of your Fantasy Geek education.)

My first fantasy novel ever was Isle of View when I was ten. I found it in my dad's car one day and was hooked forever. I don't remember when I stopped reading them in terms of book chronology, but the last one I remember clearly at all was, iirc, three books after the one with the family of Mundanes and the storm and such. I'm bad at book titles. >_>;;

I just remembered that I haven't posted a link to 'speak' in this
    forum yet. I better go ahead and do that : )

http://www.shadisoft.com/download/speak.shtml

The 'speak' program allows you to just copy the text from a book
    (to the clipboard), and it will read it to you. It takes a little
    getting used to, but after a while, it'll probably sound better
    to you than an audio book. Nothing like playing ADOM, or painting,
    while my computer reads a book to me. How lazy can I get? : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

i have spekonia. you can get it on download.com if you want. just type in spekonia and find the right one. isle of view was good. i am trying to read man from mundania but i havent read the one before that so i have to piece together whats going on. i am going to buy heaven cent as soon as i can. That is the one i need now. i have 19 out of 32 books!

I tried spekonia and it had the computer sounding voice which was real weird, did a bit of research and found this site http://www.yakitome.com, you gotta register but most people are saying that its the best free natural sounding reader, its reading an e book to me right now and it sounds great. (heh i sound like an advertisement)

I tried the yakitome site, and unless I am missing something, it's only web
    based text conversion. The site was a bit cluttered, so maybe I just
    overlooked something?

Yeah, from what I read on the forum post that referred me to yakitome, the person said that I would be able to download it to MP3 format, it doesn't give the option though so now I'm still trying to find a free text to voice program with a nice sounding voice. These voices (mike, sarah, etc) looks like they're licensed to the big telecom companies so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a nice free one. Tell me if you find a good one though.

I have read some of 'em... Picked up a spell for chameleon when I was about 12 flying on some trip w/my mom.. Actually, ran into nikki six of motley crue at a bookstore on a layover in nashville tennessee... He signed my inside front cover.. Jim, Evil evil evil, Mr. Nikki Sick Six... All I could think was.. Man this dude is creepy... But I loved the books especially then.. The word play was always clever.. And I did enjoy the Xanth series, of which I've read maybe 5 or 6, But I like better the Incarnations of Immortality series (about the archetypes of death, the fates, god, satan, war, and time) but IMHO the best Piers Anthony book was a trilogy called Battlecircle or something along those lines... That was a rad story...

> Tell me if you find a good one though.

You don't like the shadisoft 'speak' program's voice? I suppose it does
    sound a bit robotic, but I got used to it very quickly, and now prefer
    it to audio book voices.

I don't think IMOH was half as good as xanth. have you read split infinity? i probably will. My dad had three old xanth books and i found them and now i buy the books from ebay and amazon and abebooks.com. Now there is a cool sight. www.abebooks.com has almost every book and a bunch of diffrent sellers who are selling it. really cool.
    anyway, my dad also has i think three bio of a space tyrant books. i never read those yet.

I read one of the kelven series. Dragon's gold, I think, and it was OK.