Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: stairscumming

Question stairscumming

How many ppl do it? I pretty much can't live w/o it. I always play gnome/elven wizard and hang around until i get the necessary books and lots of h2o potions maybe even a PoGA or 2. I know wizards are known for being somewhat overpowered but I've never gotten past lvl 30 and I can't stand spending hours getting decent chars to the CoC and dying just b/c RNG didn't make enough decent spellbooks.

Anyway I'm just trying to gauge how scummy ppl consider this and how common similar tactics are.

Never bothered with ID/gremlin scumming. Won with wizard and druid so far, had more books than needed. Hopefully mindcrafter will come next.

How do people Stairscum? I never did it until I heard of it on these forums. The only way that I can think to do it would be to repeatedly pres < and > until you find a room with stuff in it. Collect the stuff. Rinse. Repeat. Ad Nauseum. Is this what people do? Even now that I have done it, I can barely stand the boredom of it.

I think that if i had the patience to stair scum, I would much rather gremlin bomb instead.

There's more advantages to that, i think:

- The possibility of an artifact.
    - Trains a skill to 100.
    - Trains weapon skills.

I do scum the ID with some characters though. In particular, necromancers that start with the tract of chaos, its nice to have at least SOME spell to get you out of a jam. (Slow monster, Calm monster, Darkness etc.)

Depends on what kind of a game I'm playing, and whether or not I
    need the benefits it gives, namely books and blink dogs. With the
    option of book-casting, combined with the waterproof blanket from
    the SMC, I really don't need the ID for extra spellbooks. Blink dogs
    usually turn up in short order also, so there really isn't a need to
    stairhop for that either.

All that is for a 'normal' game. For challenge games like limited turns,
    the ID is a great place to pick up hard-to-find books, very quickly. I
    also think that all players that have yet to win a game should also
    stair hop, even if it's just for a while. The extra items/books/blink dog
    corpses can help a lot.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Well like gut, I certainly dscum for teleport control dthere, but only if my PC gets teleportitusd from pool/codrpse/corruption and I don't yet haved a means of controlling my jumping around - findingd a blinkie elsewhedre in the game when you are bouncing around all over the place can be dangerous as well as frustrating. Jump up djump up and get down.

Sometimes, though, there really is just no way to make the character work, ID or not

Last edited by LFk; 07-25-2008 at 08:15 AM.

I had one elven wizard start with To 2 and St 3. Made it to level 5 I think in the ID before dying.
    On the other hand, I have had another make it to Level 10, but still die from a stone block whilst at full HP.

Stone blocks suck. ^

I usually stairhop in the ID for blinkie corpses as well, if the PC has no food preservation it can be very hard getting a corpse if I don't stairhop (don't know why but blink dogs tend to not summon anything for me whenever I need them to summon, and then surround me asap when I already got a corpse :P).

ID - Bleh. Stairhopping - ULTRABLEH.

(Don't mind me by any means. Though if you're on the "I can't live without" trip, I'd advise just playing without it for a while and learn to be more careful.)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.