Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiles support fo JADE

Default Tiles support fo JADE

I wonder, since it will most likely be possible to create your own UI for JADE, it may be possible to make one that accepts bitmap tiles.

While after al these years of ADOMing I have fairly little use for gfx, and tbh prefer to imagine that the ) is my ighty morningstar of devastation, I wonder if any of you guys would jump at the opportunity to create or enjoy that kind of thing.

Definitely it would help to "spread the word" among the ignorant to the wonders of ASCII, methiks.

I hate tiles in roguelikes, i always have. I think they're ugly and take away from the roguelike feeling. I like my ominous blackness behind every character. Also those tiles are not very detailed, half the time I couldnt tell the difference between say a 'k'obold and a cave 'T'roll in the *band roguelikes that have tilesupport.

I don't think that all tile based roguelikes are bad. It depends on their quality(or quality of ASCII "graphics"). I really enjoyed playing NetHack with tiles, because they are readable and they looks nice. I also really enjoyed playing Adom without tiles, same reason as above. On other hand, I really didn't liked basic tileset of Dwarf Fortress - as for me, it looked awful and unreadable, and I appreciated great wealth and depth of that game after changing tileset.

Anyway, I'm against tiles in JADE. I really like ASCII in Adom, and I think that in JADE it would also look great. It's always possible to make tile based ASCII(so game would look like in ASCII, but it'd be tile based in fact), but I'm sure that they're more pressing things to do in JADE right now.
    Last edited by Macros; 03-11-2008 at 06:33 PM.

If someone can create their own UI for JADE, surely they would be able to create a tiled version (although it would take time), or one with an mp3 player built in, or one in several languages, etc. The advantage is that TB wouldn't need to program it. You'll need to find someone to program it though...

^
    And in a few weeks thousands of mods is released by amateurs.
    What a deliciously boring signature.

I think the ascii graphics in ADOM and JADE look great (due to the use of colors and detailed environments among other things) and are an important part of the feel of the game.

To me ascii is timeless, but bitmap tiles feel antiquated.

Having said that there are many roguelikes out there using ascii that don't look good and may need bitmap tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTheBird View Post
    ^
    And in a few weeks thousands of mods is released by amateurs.
    That might be a problem. But there'll always be the "real" thing.

This is what I think might work: TB opens up the sources. We use the RFE Tracker. After community approval, either we or TB make a patch. TB either applies it or vetoes.

One mainline, no plugin functionality except for the user interface thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic
    This is what I think might work: TB opens up the sources. We use the RFE Tracker. After community approval, either we or TB make a patch. TB either applies it or vetoes.
    And on every patch there will be 2-3 variants of JADE and 2 programs like Adombot released by other people. I might be wrong here, but I don't like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    And on every patch there will be 2-3 variants of JADE and 2 programs like Adombot released by other people. I might be wrong here, but I don't like that idea.
    Adombot was written anyway, and it plays bad enough that we dont really need to worry about it.

I dont think that we would get lots of mods (a mod being a rejected patch here). Its not like in other games: there is no point-and-click-editor and so on. And, if people like a specific mod, it is very likely that in the end it will be merged into the mainline. If not, noone will play it anyway.

And it would help JADE get better in less time.

I believe in Free Software.
    Last edited by Epythic; 03-14-2008 at 10:35 AM.

I enjoy tiles and hope there will be an option to use a tileset if you so choose. No one is forced to use tiles anyway if they don't like them.