Thread: Learning & Casting Wish

Question Learning & Casting Wish

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums here, although I've been lurking for a few months. I've been casually and very sporadically playing ADOM since the gammas, but I've been playing a lot more in the last year or so. I still haven't won the game yet though.

Anyway, my current character (a grey elven wizard--unoriginal, I know) has a spellbook of Wish, but I'm nowhere near capable of using it yet, since I'm only level 13. I found the spellbook on ID: 3!! I've now started wondering what kind of strategies people have come up with for easing the enormous requirements for both learning and casting the Wish spell. How does one tackle such a monumental task? Special rooms? Certain corruptions or equipment? Feasting on kobold shaman corpses?

Learning from spellbook:
    Reading spellbook takes 3003 turns.
    Blessed Stomafilia gives you 6250 satiation and you can eat it at 2500, resulting in ~8750.
    Scroll of Satiation can increase even further.(+2000 blessed ones)
    Rooms with rich flavour drasticaly reduces food consumption.

So just remove all artifacts except your crown of science, invisibility items, drop some items if you're strained and read.

Learning from potions of wonder: just drink few thousands. Most of the time ring-wish engine required.

Casting:
    3000 pp
    Silvernight/Darknight - 1500 pp
    Silvernight/Darknight AND room with magically charged air - 900

That certainly possible by almost every wizard who reacher orb of mana.
    Major drawback - casting it reduces random attribute by 10.
    Not recommended.

Bookcasting:
    Same as above.
    x1.5 cost with proper talents.
    x3 time for casting.
    Safe.

Misc:
    Living mana battery corruption helps in gaining huge pp.

The maximum reduction in mana cost possible is 50%, if I'm not mistaken. And bookcasting has the same drawbacks as normal casting.

Going through the trouble of becoming able to cast Wish is a hassle usually not worth it unless you're trying to do two things:

- Get a wish for stuff you absolutely need you absolutely fail to find, like AoLSes, potions of cure corruption, scrolls of danger.
    - Become an archmage, i. e. capable of bookcasting (!) Wish with 1 Mana (!!). Needless to say, getting the PP (more precisely, PP AND HP) needed is a major hassle. However, if you get there, you have infinite wishes, and can easily power up every aspect of your character to the max.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

The maximum reduction in mana cost possible is 50%, if I'm not mistaken.
    Room effect reduces below that.

Question

Thanks for the replies, DeSt and Silfir. Here's a follow-up question:

What is Silvernight and Darknight?

Manual says it. Some specific date once per month, iirc.

"The first day of a month is darknight...*snip*
    ...the 16th day of a month is silvernight...*snip*"

You check the actual time and stuff with ctrl-e, but you knew that already.

Really? Ctrl-e? I always check it in the good old "@" character background screen.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

My Bard has 728 castings of Wish. Sadly base cost is 3000pp each :S....