Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eternium Man

Default Eternium Man

Now that the server supports it, i'm interested if any of you are giving this a shot.

What do you think is the best approach for a successful eternium man?

I'm going to leave a little spoily space in case people want to figure out eternium man on their own

The only strategy i'm trying as of right now is roll-scumming a Drakeling Bard for one with pick pockets. I chose drakeling for the giant lizard pet + food preservation skill, and the spit skill to get one out of a pinch (pit vipers, for example). Carefully let the lizard advance in experience level while keeping PC at exp level 1, and hope to gather the materials for a gremlin bomb in something like this format:

#########
    # . . . .@I I I I
    # . . . . l ###
    # . . . . . #
    ########

Where the pet would continually kill the gremlins and the PC would only 'a'pply Pick pockets. The pet must first be leveled substantially, as the PC in question needs to gain a few exp levels immediately prior to the gremlin bomb to increase the danger level of SMC.

The end goal of this of course is to start a ring wish engine. While unlimited wishes would be ideal and make this a very easy run, several problems are posed, the first of which is the availability of holy water. I'm hoping to not have to scum for a SMC with an altar, but the presence of one would significantly increase the chances of success. Holy water is needed to bless the potions of exchange, identifying B/U/C is difficult period without an altar. However, roll-scumming for a PC with both pick pockets AND an SMC altar would be annoying to say the least.

Since bards are generated with random skillsets, there is the possibility of detect item status, which would also help greatly if no altar is present. Again, the whole situation is quite bothersome and needs a lot of things to fall into place to get a true ring wish engine running indefinitely.

The alternative that I propose is that large volumes of wishes are NOT needed, like it would be for suiciding into AKWs (needs many AoLS, AKWs). The materials that one would have to collect would be:
    - Spellbook of Divine Wrath
    - Ring of Elemental Mastery
    - Shambling Mound (s)
    - Sufficient equipment for a ~100ish DV on coward, dual-wielding shields is an option. I'm not sure about the threshold one would have to reach in order to never get hit by an extremely lightning-pumped mound. I've actually never been hit by one, so I'm not familiar with the nature of the gain of +damage they obtain from the bolts at all.

If all is done efficiently, perhaps this is do-able in under 10 wishes, which is within the reach of a single lucky ring dip. Based on what other items you pickpocket, you may or may not have to wish for other gear. It would be nice to have the key to a door to a small room so you can have some privacy as well, as well as a guaranteed source of damage that a monster can't shrug such as burning hands or a ball spell.

Are there any other ways that you guys can think of?

Eternium man...I've read it before, but I'm having a lapse. What again is an eternium man run?

Going straight to the SMC and staying there until reaching lvl50. It's been done once (at least), with a gremlin-bombing bard. I'm not interested in doing it though, because it requires tactics that I consider really boring.

Or interesting tactics and hundreds of deaths before PC Level 10 before finally giving up.

nathrakh Guest

I'll bumb this topic now...

I have yet to win the game but I'm trying to win Eternium Man challenge right now. I've got succesful gremlin bomb going with Dwarf Bard that has Pick pockets. I don't have food preservation, but I haven't had any problems with that yet.

My bear companion seems pretty buff already and takes moderately experienced gremlins down in a turn.

I'm playing on the Ancardia server and here's the current ssh-file: http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_users/nathrakh/eomerth.ssh

I got scared just a while ago as I thought my bear had got killed. I read ?oMonsterDetection and saw it fighting gremlins in the middle of the corridor.

But I have one problem. I can't get the Fast_More option working (Adom Sage enabled). This is a problem because I can't copy commands to Putty. Can anyone help me ?

EDIT: I managed to get it work. :) Now all that is left is... TO WIN!
    Last edited by nathrakh; 02-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.

It's really easy to identify your heap of holy water, 2 easiest ways are dipping some of your worn items into one of those 2 smaller stacks of water you have and then try to remove that item: If you can remove it, the water was holy water, if you can't it was unholy and the other stack is holy.
    Another way is to try find out which scrolls are scrolls of identify and read a blessed one (again try one of the smaller stacks, if you identify only 1 item, then read one from the other stack too :P).

After identifying holy water, you have ~infinite source of holy water by dipping unholy and plain water potions into holy water (you should have plenty of water after running the bomb for a while).

can't you just taste water by quaffing?

nathrakh Guest

Yes I have found out what ?oIdentify is and I've read blessed one also. I've drank two PoGAs already and plenty of other stat giving ones.

This seems pretty stable now. I have 17 uncursed and 2 holy potion of water. Have to buff the bear more tho, I don't want to risk anything. :)

What is gremlin bomb?

Letting gremlins duplicate freely using water trap and then pickpocketting them all / killing them with pet.