Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Magic in JADE

meh contingencies are a bit too D&D like for me. I just want spell customization, being able to create your own spells or fine tuning your own spells for a certain situation, do you throw out several weak low powered fire bolts or put all your PP into one huge firebolt more along the lines of a magma blast or a solar flare. Some other roguelikes have that in them and I always enjoyed being able to fine tune my spells for a specific situation. Why should I be restriced to casting a magic missile EXACTLY the way the spell book taught it, as I get better at casting it I should become more familiar with it not just making it more powerful but giving me more control over it.

This goes back to what I mentioned before of having spells that are single hit like a missile only hitting one target and not a beam hitting everything in its path, I should be able to do that with my frostbolt if im familiar enough with the basic fundamentals behind conjuring elementals enough.

And i know it wont be in, but in my eyes the perfect magic system in any game is the ability to combine your magics the way you want. Using your knowledge of the elements of wind and water you can combine them and conjure water, then use your powers over the wind to chill the water to a freezing point to create an icy blast. focus more wind into it to propel the icy shard faster for a higher crit chance, or focus more water into it to create a larger ice chunk causing more base dmg.

the possibilities would be endless for that, air and earth to hurl boulders, fire and air to conjure up a storm of burning winds. it'd be really complex im sure, but it would be so damn cool.

I actually created my own (D&Dish) RPG and Custom made the spell system (kind of)
    I used slow Magic, having magic take a set amount of turns to cast, depending on level. This of course was just because I thought unlimited Spell casting would be cool and that It would be too hard to keep track of PP on a paper and pencil game. but the main differences I used were these
    1) You get the spell craft skill. This needs to be increased during level making, but progress should be relatively slow. Or maybe it should only increase with spell casting experience? This skill allows you to cast more powerful spells. ex. Gust of Wind: Spellcraft requirement: lv. 4. 1d6 (+1 per lv) dam. + enemy flies in opposite direction of the caster for x amount.
    2) spells gain special abilities after som amount of xp. ex (with the Gust of Wind spell)
    At level 6 with Gust of wind and level 7 of Spellcraft, Gust of wind can cause opponent to be disarmed, the weapon flying out of his/her hands.
    3).... Actually, thats about it. For the different classes in my game (theoretically) they used different casting styles. My divine classes (Preist, Cleric and Paladin) used daily magic. My Arcane (Sorcerers and Wizards) used the power point system. and the "other" category (Scribes, Bards, Druids) used slow magic, with unlimited spells. I don't know if its possible or probable to experiment with different Magic styles, but maybe it could work.

The Spell craft skill would allow for the fighter classes to have basic knowledge, and cast certain level spells, with the Spell casters just owning and depending on the increased spell craft skill to unlock new spell abilities. MY literacy skill was also important. the skill level allowed you to read a certain difficulty for scrolls and spellbooks, making really powerful scrolls only accessible to be read, or written by high level "readers"

I was just spewing Ideas, if any of them seem good, let me know =)

I also think that ther should be enchanting spells. Maybe in the form of scrolls.
    "You identify the scroll to be a scroll of flaming weapon"
    causes the prefix of flaming to be added. +1d4 fire dam. or something.
    It should work for arrows and armor to.
    As a spell you can cast, it should last a certain number of turns... about the duration of Strength of Atlas I thihnk... maybe a bit shorter, or dependent on mana. It could even be a new skill or class.

well the weapon enchantment has been thrown around in this thread a couple times, I know i mentioned it once or twice on the first and 2nd pages as well did a few other people. I dont see why it would be difficult to do, just have the item get the -foo- tag on it for x turns. i know TBs system can do this, lets just see if he does.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.