meh contingencies are a bit too D&D like for me. I just want spell customization, being able to create your own spells or fine tuning your own spells for a certain situation, do you throw out several weak low powered fire bolts or put all your PP into one huge firebolt more along the lines of a magma blast or a solar flare. Some other roguelikes have that in them and I always enjoyed being able to fine tune my spells for a specific situation. Why should I be restriced to casting a magic missile EXACTLY the way the spell book taught it, as I get better at casting it I should become more familiar with it not just making it more powerful but giving me more control over it.

This goes back to what I mentioned before of having spells that are single hit like a missile only hitting one target and not a beam hitting everything in its path, I should be able to do that with my frostbolt if im familiar enough with the basic fundamentals behind conjuring elementals enough.

And i know it wont be in, but in my eyes the perfect magic system in any game is the ability to combine your magics the way you want. Using your knowledge of the elements of wind and water you can combine them and conjure water, then use your powers over the wind to chill the water to a freezing point to create an icy blast. focus more wind into it to propel the icy shard faster for a higher crit chance, or focus more water into it to create a larger ice chunk causing more base dmg.

the possibilities would be endless for that, air and earth to hurl boulders, fire and air to conjure up a storm of burning winds. it'd be really complex im sure, but it would be so damn cool.