Thread: up to date guidebook?

Default up to date guidebook?

hey i was using andy williams guidebook for ADOM but i soon noticed that all the potions and scrolls and a few other things unidentified names were wrong. It told me that a turquoise potion would boost my learning but when i drank it it healed me slightly. Whats going on? did thomas biskup just change all the unidentified names so you couldn't use that guidebook? If he did, is there an up to date guidebook for all the items and stuff?

The unidentified names are different each game, that's what makes scrolls of identify so useful. You can use the weight of items to narrow the amount of choices down, though.

The guidebook gives likely names. Sometimes they'll be spot on, but more usually they're wrong, especially when it comes to the likes of potions. Each game the items ids will be randomised, so no guide can really help you with that.

oh. thanks.

If I understand correctly, the Guidebook lists the default names for each potion etc. The names are randomized, but the default name is the one which has the greatest probability.

Also, for the rings and amulets, I think there are some rules about materials. So, for example, RoDS might not be an "ordinary ring", but it will always be made of adamantium, and a "steel amulet" must be something which is made of iron, probably an AoLS. (Although I might be wrong here, I don't know these rules.)