Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghul paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    well, DV>30 usaually means ghuls are not problem. Before that ghuls should be shot. Later on I am known to pick ghuls pockets. At least they should be fighted one at one in the corridor.

-Stun rings. i can probably test it out. Although i don't see point in doing so. I believe they don't help. Gut believes they do. Perfect world

PV: I've died few times when ghul pushed through armour and kept doing so untill i died (that was something one in thirty hits so I read these messgaes for good.) For me DV is a way.
    well I tend to get DV around 40 pretty early in the game, and still had chars dying to ghuls.. and yes I always try to fight in corridors.

At the begining i also pick pocketed ghuls(watery potion is pretty common from undead. Or is that just my imagination)

If it is imagination, it's mine too.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

With high DV, it could still hit. With high PV but low DV, being hit is less dangerous, but you could be critically hit or have the ghul punch through. No absolute security with either. Personally I find that 25 DV plus 5 PV >>>>>>> 40 DV zero PV. Better to have decent PV and decent DV than to have only very good DV or only very good PV.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Having trouble with Ghuls eh?
    Well, you'll love mimics.
    Dark elven priestesses can also paralyze. Gelatinous cubes, floating eyes, and dorn beasts will paralyze if you attack them, although I had PC's who became paralyzed when hit by a floating eye.
    Stone oozes, if you ever see one, are also dangerous in terms of paralysis.
    The moral of the story is: (magic) missiles, and never trust an iron ration lying on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich View Post
    Having trouble with Ghuls eh?
    Well, you'll love mimics.
    Dark elven priestesses can also paralyze. Gelatinous cubes, floating eyes, and dorn beasts will paralyze if you attack them, although I had PC's who became paralyzed when hit by a floating eye.
    Stone oozes, if you ever see one, are also dangerous in terms of paralysis.
    The moral of the story is: (magic) missiles, and never trust an iron ration lying on the ground.
    Well floating eyes, gelatinious cubes etc don't really appear in a package of 20 unless tension rooms. AND they don't paralyze unless you hit them.. so you really can't get paralyzed over and over like with ghuls..
    And yeah I really don't bother shooting every ghul with missiles

I don't remember ever getting paralyzed by a dark elven priest tough?

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    25 DV plus 5 PV >>>>>>> 40 DV zero PV. Better to have decent PV and decent DV than to have only very good DV or only very good PV.
    Who said zero PV? Actually i was DV guy from start to end, but changed that. Scraping around ten points of PV is good idea. And i usually keep working on spears and shield marks in da process.

10 PV is already enough, of course!

Dark elven priestesses paralyze. Oh yes they do.

Dorn Beasts work differently. They don't have to hit you to paralyze you - it's enough if you attack them even once. If you're not resistant to paralyzation, you'll stare into one of the eyes and get permanently paralyzed. Game over.

(It might be just paralyzation with a very long duration, but Dorn Beasts hit hard enough to kill you anyway.)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

The only time I have survived a Dorn Beast paralysation was when I had the teleportation corruption and it kicked in at the right time. I can't remember if teleporting broke off the paralysation or if I just waited out in a safe location, but either way I survived that encounter.

But if you shoot you stare at arrow instead of one of Beasts eyes. When i learned this Dorn Beasts stoped being a problem.

Edit: I also had char paralyzed by being hit by floating eye.

I was too paranoid to try anything than wand artillery fire when I met Dorn Beasts without paralyzation resistance... Good news that missile attacks while right next to them are still safe.