Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: To release or not to release...

Arguing about that is pretty pointless, because now it's almost obvious that Adom sources won't be released.

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Universal View Post
    Arguing about that is pretty pointless, because now it's almost obvious that Adom sources won't be released.
    I'm pretty sure they'll be released in a few years. Maybe after JADE gets a stable release.

I think ADOM sources should be released after Thomas Biskup loses all hope to work on it more, or is nearly dead, or whatever else other circumstances it might be, also. It should be licensed under GNU GPL or a compatible license (such as BSD license or public domain). This will make it more popular than if it were a different license.

If I get it, I would work on it in three ways.

The "Standard Version" would consist of:
    • Bug fixes, such as, making it not crash when selected "Skilled", etc. There are other bugs I have also noticed, that I will fix.
    • A few more command-line options, such as "generate new character", "restore savegame" etc.
    • Some new configuration options, such as the character/color used to represent doors, and whether walking command can be used while sick/poison/etc. Also I would fix the "Class" option (currently it doesn't work).
    • Not anything that would change the game rules, or other things too much than what it was intended to be.
    • Still no graphics.

I myself would like to see ADOM ported to Python.
    While I would like to see it ported to Forth. So, the second version would be the "Forth Standard Version", which consists of:
    • Some things would be kept in C, but much of the game logic would now be written in Forth.
    • The documentation and configuration files would no longer be packed in the executable.
    • Key bindings, reading configurations, dealing with save-game, displaying the colored text on the screen, etc, would be dealt with by the C program. The Forth interpreter would also be written in C.
    • New versions of ADOM Forth Standard Version will still be compatible with older save-files that were also created with older versions of ADOM Forth Standard Version, and they would use the old rules, too, with the old save-file. (This is because the compiled Forth codes would be stored in the save-file)
    • A new command-line option would allow you to select which directory to find the Forth codes, when beginning a new game.
    • If possible, I would get a note from Thomas Biskup to see if these Forth codes follow the proper rules of ADOM, and an endorsement note would be added that says so. If anyone (including myself) modifies it, the endorsement note would have to be removed. (If Thomas Biskup objects, this is OK, too, there just won't be any such notice and you will have to figure out for yourself, instead.)
    • Still no graphics. (Although, someone else could program it to have graphics, and still be compatible with the normal version, including the same Forth codes, and so on, although maybe a few additional files might have to be added to select graphics and stuff like that)

And then, the third version, would come: the "Forth Extended Version", which consists of:
    • The executable file would be the same one as the "Forth Standard Version".
    • Many new additions to the game.
    • Option to turn off star signs, and turn off feats selection (so it would be like the older versions that didn't have it), and so on.
    • Possibly more "D:" levels, up to 100 or 150, maybe.
    • Fixed scoring system.
    • Many additional game modes.
    • Even more other things, including experimental things, possibly.
    • Still no graphics. (I prefer it without graphics, and so does many other people)
    • This game might not be called "ADOM" anymore, but something else such as "ZADOM" or whatever, instead. (This is to distinguish from the Forth Standard Version, which is truly ADOM.)
    • The Forth Standard Version (and maybe even the Standard Version) would still possibly be maintained by you, Thomas Biskup, me, and/or other people, without changing it to a different game. The "true" ADOM game is still good and would still be played and maintained and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by zzo38 View Post
    the second version would be the "Forth Standard Version"
    That sounds very interesting. I can only hope that Thomas Biskup will understand that there are many people who wish to do good things with ADOM, in the case that the source is released.

I think he understands that perfectly, it's just that there are many people who wish to do bad things, or bad things they think are totally hilarious, with the code. And ultimately, having anybody at all take over something you have toiled year after year to create is painful, no matter who takes over.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    And ultimately, having anybody at all take over something you have toiled year after year to create is painful, no matter who takes over.
    It isn't painful. Anyways, I am actually suggesting he does it when there is no longer any reason for him to keep it for himself (read the first paragraph of my message). After that, it certainly won't be a problem to release under a valid Free Software license (such as GNU GPL v3). At least some (if not all) releases of ADOM by other people will still be how Thomas Biskup likes it. If someone uses the codes for other purpose, it could be a different program, and they could assert trademark rights if you prefer. Even Java is licensed under GNU GPL today (it was proprietary software for many years before that, too). There is another game software which was actually shareware and the programmer has worked on it many years (but it was for DOS only). Eventually he did release it under the GNU GPL and he has no objections. Since then, many other people have been working on it, including myself. Now it runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and more. It is 20 years old and is still being used and maintained today. That software is called, MegaZeux.

Ported to Forth? What the?

Well, I think the problem is more that too many people think that what they intend to do is good... just sayin.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zzo38
    Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    And ultimately, having anybody at all take over something you have toiled year after year to create is painful, no matter who takes over.
    It isn't painful.
    In that case, TB is the only one who can(and should) decide whether it is painful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal View Post
    In that case, TB is the only one who can(and should) decide whether it is painful or not.
    Correct. It ultimately depends on the individual, in this case, TB.

Though I'd like the source code so I find out the answer to that red rooster thing, etc., instead of making mods (more looking than touching, essentially), but still, it's ultimately TB's decision...

I might actually pay some money for the source code, as long as it was released under the GNU GPL, or that I would allowed to do so.