Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World size

Default World size

Is it possible the world in JADE will be TOO big? We were able to have plenty of content in adom to make it from levels 1-50 and still probably didnt go to every single location, some of them we couldnt go to. VD and DD are examples. the assassins cave is another, i rarely go in there just because i dont have a reason to since I dont duel wield. The drakalor chain was just a small part of ancardia, it didnt even take up a whole game screen. Ancardia is much bigger, so how will too much content be handled? If every world is generated randomly theres probably a lot of cool stuff we will miss out on and may never ever EVER see since each world is different. Spreading locations further apart is one way to fix it, but that seems like it would waste a lot of game time. Maybe we could have an option to save a world we generate to use again like in dwarf fortress? And have each race start in a different location, that'd be kinda cool too. Humans start in a nice pleasant rolling plains with a few forest around, dwarves could start in the mountains, orcs in a nasty swampy area.
    Last edited by Sradac; 01-01-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Possible starting points-
    Human- town
    Dwarf- mountain
    Orc- rugged badland
    Drakeling- swamp
    Dark elf- underground
    High elf- woods
    Grey elf- island?
    Hobbit- farmland
    Gnome- desert?
    Troll- cave
    Ratling- outlaw town?

Nice enough. On second thought -- what about obtaining main quest? There could be problems, depending on the kind of main quest.
    ...toward the ChAoS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    Is it possible the world in JADE will be TOO big?
    This might be a problem, indeed! Though it looks promising at first sight seeing TB working on big cities in JADE, I'm not so convinced that more of anything is the way to more fun. Rethinking what it was what made ADOM so fine and absolutely priceless I come to the conclusion that it was NOT the countless quests (in fact, there were only 3-4 dozens) , NOT countless monsters, NOT countless locations, NOT countless spells, NOT countless potions, .... . In some cases more monsters would have been not good ( 1st Thrundar quest )

The REAL key factor what ADOM made so fine was:

the DENSITY of moments at which You had to rethink Your strategic decisions!

Anything too big - in particular large areas, too large distances, ... - might menace this density.

In response to Nobbse (too lazy to quote)

Everyone seems to think JADE=ADOM2. Why does it have to be that way? We're just sooo used to ADOM something new would shock us all. Who knows, a bigger map might be fun! If you want JADE to be more like ADOM, just ask for JADE never to made and more updates for ADOM instead.
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Well, the reason why TB doesn't want to touch the ADOM-code anymore is probably the Status of that Code. He cannot handle it any longer without taking risks of breaking it and it would take him too much time to get himself to the knowledge to work with this code again.

So JADE is a new build that TB wants to be managable over a long time of 10-20 years. I don't want it to be an ADOM-Clone, but what I want is that he keeps the density of strategic decisions. I might take some time from the first playable test version to the density that ADOM had, but I'm looking forward to!

We are all looking forward to JADE, just by the time we do play it some of us will be married and gone (While I'm still in collage) So we'll just have to build the foundation for future geeks all over the world!
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

nathrakh Guest

Go make a lot of geek babies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Metro Gnome View Post

Everyone seems to think JADE=ADOM2. Why does it have to be that way?
    Oh i don't know, try reading this http://www.adom.de/jade/index.php3. In there it states that JADE IS ADOM2.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 03-08-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

How about increasing the level limit? I know 50 is a tin already, but it wont matter if the world is huge. make it possible to get to infinite levels, just end the class bonuses at lv 50. I feel that would help people to adventure more throughout the world. Maybe have some quests off limits for certain races, so you take different paths throughout the world. I would personally love a huge world, but am worried that I would spend so much time on side quests that I would kill myself in some lava labyrinth when I could have won.