Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: programming/coding

Everyone has their own opinions on coding - like I said before it's best to try things out and see what works best. One other handy resource is this amazing library designed for writing roguelikes in C/C++/Python:

http://jice.nospam.googlepages.com/thedoryenlibrary

Just a little look at it will show just what amazing things can be achieved with some hard work and well-placed imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
    That sounds like it may be fun for getting an inspiration for mine if I make it, I searched with google but didn't seem to find anything similiar. Could you give me the URL?

http://www.t-o-m-e.net

download the latest 3.0.0 verson, run sdl or non if you want. when you load up the game it gives you the option to download different modules. it'll connect to the tome database and give you a bunch of different modules to choose from.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

i stumbled across that yesterday actually grey, went to google and searched for roguelikes written in python. so I could get an idea of whats possible and what osme of the source looks like. good resource.

Is it possible for characters to take up more than one space on the map??? I want a 4x4 D for a red dragon!!!!! I actually have a good reason for thinking this. i find it silly in roguelikes, one space on the map is usually a 5ftx5ft square, in most of them ive seen at least. how the heck can a RAT block an entire 5ftx5ft area?? A dang rat can sit in a hallway and block an orc from walking over it, and a HUGE dragon can fit down a narrow corridor as well. If its possible to change how much room a character takes up i'd probably end up making all hallways 2 wide or maybe 3 wide and change the 5x5 representation of an area to 2x2. 2x2 makes more sense to me.

It's possible, but I wouldn't advise it. You really should think of making something basic first. Dragons will not feature in your first roguelike :P On top of that it's likely not in any other roguelike because gameplay is more important than realism. Too many developers get caught in the trap of trying to make realistic roguelikes and end up releasing nothing, being too caught up in their complex light algorithms or fractal map generators, or whatever other pet obsession they have which doesn't affect gameplay in any way. To start off with you're best trying to think of a *fun* game idea with around the same complexity as the original Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    Is it possible for characters to take up more than one space on the map??? I want a 4x4 D for a red dragon!!!!! I actually have a good reason for thinking this. i find it silly in roguelikes, one space on the map is usually a 5ftx5ft square, in most of them ive seen at least. how the heck can a RAT block an entire 5ftx5ft area?? A dang rat can sit in a hallway and block an orc from walking over it, and a HUGE dragon can fit down a narrow corridor as well. If its possible to change how much room a character takes up i'd probably end up making all hallways 2 wide or maybe 3 wide and change the 5x5 representation of an area to 2x2. 2x2 makes more sense to me.
    Sradac, I was thinking about this earlier, and I too wish that was possible. Well, in theory it is.

There is no way to display something that large on a terminal. Well, unless you somehow manage to build a bigger letter from several smaller letters...

Code:

D
    ┎╮
    ┖╯
    ┎─╮
    ┃ │
    ┖─╯
    Unicode might do it, see above demonstration. This page might be helpful (I used the Block Elements table).

Of course your engine would have to support that too, which might be very complicated to make. Afaik, the assumption that each being fits into exactly one square is one of the core assumptions of most roguelike engines.

- how do you store the map, and the beings? how do you represent coordinates?
    - AI ?
    - Large doors and stuff?

You see, it's not that easy... although I bet it would be very cool. Just imagine your are a big (5x5) dragon and surrounded by... ew, 5x4+4=24 rats (1x1). And they all attack you.

EDIT:

@ Grey: *agree*

EDIT 2:

Errm, the display stuff was not really a problem, you just made me think about it and experiment a bit, and in the end I decided to post it. The hard part is of course the engine.
    Last edited by Epythic; 01-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

I imagine the challenges could be overcome without too much hassle - after all plenty of comercial tiled games have multi-tile artefacts. I'd personally say give each creature a starting square (say the top-right one) and an area of effect, using tiles to represent them properly (trying to ASCII Art them would be painful). For each monster or player action calculate the interaction between each's area of effect. As for movement, well you're not going to find dragons in small dungeons are you? Only populate an area with monsters of a suitable size for that area. Use basic hacks for movement (if <fits> then move else <pathfind new direction>). I just don't see it being worth the effort gameplay-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I just don't see it being worth the effort gameplay-wise.
    I do, because it makes swarms of smaller creatures stronger and weakens larger creatures.

Having a big (2x2, 3x3) PC would be interesting too, although it might be a little bit frustrating not to be able to go everywhere. Ew, forget that idea.

In the end, what matters is that you get *something* done.

Hmm, I figure this might be an appropriate place to put this... I've just finished the first release of my own roguelike, "Gruesome":

http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.1.zip

It's very basic at present. You play as a grue, lurking in shadows. Light kills you instantly, so you have to avoid the adventurers (or try and get them to walk into your slavering fangs, but that's very difficult) and ascend to the surface. Screenshots here and here. Eventually I hope to make it much deeper, but that'll likely be a long time coming.

This was programmed in Free Pascal, but now I've handled the basics I think I'll move on to learning Python.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Hmm, I figure this might be an appropriate place to put this... I've just finished the first release of my own roguelike, "Gruesome":

http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.1.zip

It's very basic at present. You play as a grue, lurking in shadows. Light kills you instantly, so you have to avoid the adventurers (or try and get them to walk into your slavering fangs, but that's very difficult) and ascend to the surface. Screenshots here and here. Eventually I hope to make it much deeper, but that'll likely be a long time coming.

This was programmed in Free Pascal, but now I've handled the basics I think I'll move on to learning Python.
    Well done, Grey.

• I really like the idea.
    • Interesting gameplay, I always wanted to be a grue Got to level 15, then *AAARGHDAMNEDLIGHT*. DYWYPI?
    • Tested, and did not run under linux/wine. I recompiled it, native linux binary is attached (thanks for including the source code!). [removed the windows binary due to forum's size constraints, but kept the source because of GPL]
    • Your ZIP-file is a 'tar'bomb. Bad, bad, bad. Please put all of its files in a single directory named like the ZIP-file, but without the .zip extension. At least that's the convention.
    • Nice to hear that you like python. So do I

Keep up the good work!

Edit: Bugreport: Please clear the screen at program start and reset everything when your program ends.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Epythic; 01-17-2009 at 08:12 PM.