Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: programming/coding

I've had varying reports of it working under Wine/Linux, and generally if it does run it's a little buggy (such as the screen refreshes you mention - the crt graphics library for Free Pascal isn't fully functional under Linux). I've not actually used Python, but have heard many good things about it, and the FPC IDE is too annoying to work with so it seems sensible to switch now that I've handled the basics. Thanks for the feedback!

Second release already, to fix a couple of bugs likethe screen thing and add a darkness spell you can use to blind enemies. Should be a little easier now:

http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.2.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Tested, and did not run under linux/wine. I recompiled it, native linux binary is attached (thanks for including the source code!). [removed the windows binary due to forum's size constraints, but kept the source because of GPL]
    I got it working through wine. It opened when using the "wine start xxxxx" command, though just "wine xxxxx" didn't work. And didn't notice any bugs with it, not even with the screen drawing.

@0.0.2

Grey, looks like you implemented scrolling, and somehow this is buggy.
    EDIT: didn't really test, but problems always occured in the right half of the screen and after I eat an adventurer. Might be coincidence though.

Works with wine start, but opens a new window, and it is very slow. The native linux version, on the other hand, runs very fast, so no problem.

Btw, your game is very addictive

Btw: the first released version is usually "0.1.0", so your "0.0.2" should really be "0.1.1"
    [of course that's just how *some* people do it, there is no rule]
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Scrolling? Nope, didn't really change a great deal in that release - mostly just added the shadow spell. Certainly no problems in Windows. You sure you have your console set to 80x25?

Nice to know it's addictive - it's meant to be a fairly simple, hard, and quick roguelike, in the same vein as other "cofeebreak" roguelikes. Though future releases will have more depth the simple gameplay mechanic of avoiding light will remain the same. You managed to get very far in it yet? Best I've heard anyone achieve is D9.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Certainly no problems in Windows.
    Try running in full window. Well, i switched back immediately and i am not a fan of running things windowed.

Best I've heard anyone achieve is D9.
    D5. Honestly don't see a chance to push on even with level regenerations via stair hopping.[although i played only few hours so i might have missed something, a... like patience]
    If I understand correct number of walls per level heavily increases as you climb higher?
    Last edited by Soirana; 01-19-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Scrolling? Nope, didn't really change a great deal in that release - mostly just added the shadow spell. Certainly no problems in Windows. You sure you have your console set to 80x25?

Nice to know it's addictive - it's meant to be a fairly simple, hard, and quick roguelike, in the same vein as other "cofeebreak" roguelikes. Though future releases will have more depth the simple gameplay mechanic of avoiding light will remain the same. You managed to get very far in it yet? Best I've heard anyone achieve is D9.
    Yep, seems to work with 80x25.

I managed to get somewhere around D12. Guess I'll have to try harder. And as someone put it:

Of course its unfair - thats the whole point.
    Means, do not make it easier. Someday, somebody will win anyhow, it's just a matter of time.

Btw, it's cool that your shadow powers scale with the dungeon level, balancing the increasing number of adventurers.

[and now off to bed]

EDIT: Grey: Please consider announcing Gruesome on RogueBasin.
    Last edited by Epythic; 01-18-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    If I understand correct number of walls per level heavily increases as you climb higher?
    The cave generator I programmed produces much tighter caves as you ascend, obviously to make the game far more difficult. Number of enemies increases a bit too. Yeah, a lot of patience is needed to win... Since it's a very short game it's meant to be very hard, so the player is encouraged to play lots of quick games at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic
    Btw, it's cool that your shadow powers scale with the dungeon level, balancing the increasing number of adventurers.
    They scale with your kills actually, so if you really wanted you could scum adventurers for a higher spell radius.

I've added a RogueBasin article, but can't figure out how to add the game to the news column... (EDIT: Found out how.)
    Last edited by Grey; 01-18-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

with secret ingredient, aka patience, i pushed to d2 and already saw a stairs up. So unless something dramatic is on D1 i think it is beatable.
    I think i had enough of being a grue for a while. [best effort - Smary SP 7/7 Meals 61 Turns 7757 d2].

one suggestion is it possible to make adventurers color related to light radius? Otherwise on high levels it is next to impossible to guess safe distances precisely.

Flees back to darkness, nursing grievous wounds.

Wow, well done in getting that far! D1 should be about the same as D2, so no big surprises. Can't believe it took you 8k turns to get so far though... May have to modify the speed achievements if the game's really this tough.

I'll consider the colour thing for the next release. In general the next version should have several things to make it a little easier.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer