Thread: The librarian...

Default The librarian...

Something strange I did not think possible: I entered the library in order to obtain the Weird Tome and did my thing. When I wanted to chat with G, he was gone and some 700 gold coins were lying in his place.

After waiting ~1800 turns, I passed him, and he was still there, but short after 2000 turns, some monsters obviously killed him...

Has anyone witnessed something similar?

I've had this happen before as well, pretty annoying. He appears to be similar to the ratling climbing-set dealer; as the Guidebook says, "This NPC is nonhostile in an otherwise rather hostile environment. As a consequence, it is quite possible for him to be killed by other monsters."

The Ghost Librarian getting killed does seem to be an extreme rarity (I've only had it happen the once) but now whenever I visit the Rift with the intention of getting the Weird Tome, I box him in with a wand of door creation and lock all the doors. Seems to help.

what exactly is the weird tome for, and how do you get it from him?
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    what exactly is the weird tome for, and how do you get it from him?
    http://adomgb.info/adomgb-2-22.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    http://adomgb.info/adomgb-2-22.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
    Or, if you don't like being horrendously spoiled, don't click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page at all.

less spoily:

The weird tomb is just a book. One of two artifact books in the game, but unlike the other one, the weird tomb is guaranteed, and can always be obtained in the library (you know it makes sense) by behaving as one should in libraries.

As an artifact it is valuable. Off the top of my head, there are at least 4 things you can do with it which are of benefit to the PC, but giving it to *someone* is by far the best, in most players honest opinions.

:end of spoily

/This place could really use a spoiler tag

What are those other uses of the Weird tome? (apart from the one in the guidebook)

not very spoily:

4 things altogether, the best of which is giving it to someone : )

Its an artifact, so the second good thing you can do with it is also giving it someone (ie, someone else).
    Third, you can sac it, obviously, for some piety, or fourth, you can flog it to a shop if in desperate need of cash. The latter two are blatantly sub-optimal, but definitely of benefit to the PC.

(I deliberately excluded the 5 th potential use for any object no matter how useless, cos its kinda obvious)

:spoily

/must get myself some lemon chiffon curtains, lovely.

Ha thanks!