Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Dungeons of Freedom

quit trying to step on TBs toes!!! ADOM is his creation, his to do what he pleases with it. Damn these people. Trying to "mimic" adom and release it as "free source" because they wana be cool rebel kids and say damn the man??? omg. thats whats so GREAT about adom, we DONT have the source so there is always SOME kind of mystery out there. Yeah people have code dived and botted to find stuff out, but they dont know everything. Do the community and the CREATOR a huge favor and just let this die. You wana make your own RL? By all means man go ahead but dont try to make an adom knock off. And moving a few things around just to "avoid copywright infringement." good luck.. I work for a law firm, you cant just "move things around".
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Ok, will watch it. I still don't think you have a chance. I bet you'll give up within three months.
    Take the bet, show me that I underestimated you
    (Or better don't; I am on TB's side here.)
    What would you think his "chance" would be if he were to try making an original project, which being such wouldn't have the legal issues of "cloning" ADOM against it?

If he's trying to make something similar to ADOM... his chances are slim. Very slim. A lot of people start trying to make big roguelikes and fail miserably without any releases. If he tries to start out with a simple game stripped of grandiose dreams then his chances are far higher. TB himself said this was his philosophy when starting ADOM:

"I first devised the map code, followed by some primitive code to walk around (without any LOS stuff), open and close doors, then some some immobile monsters and so on. This always has been my strategy: start out small and plan from there. Just make sure that you keep enough room for improvements but don't try everything at once, because a typical roguelike game is so huge. Works fine for me."
    - from http://www.adom.de/adom/past.php3
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    What would you think his "chance" would be if he were to try making an original project, which being such wouldn't have the legal issues of "cloning" ADOM against it?
    Unsure. Somehow I got the impression that he has really no clue what he is talking about.

But then, roguelike development is all about motivation. Everything else is secondary, and can be acquired "on the way".

Guess his chances will really improve the moment he releases something (well, something that works).
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

But then, roguelike development is all about motivation.
    That and time. I'll be excited to see if this project comes to fruition.

Seriously though, if you make an ADoMlike, I'd try it : )

> OK, you wait, and you see

>> I wasn't meaning to be pessimistic, I was trying for encouraging : )

>>>I wasn't trying to imply you were meaning to be pessimistic
    Also, stupid internet and its lack of vocal inflection.
    Necrophilia isn't *that* bad!
    --Kyle Cope, a gentleman and a scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If he's trying to make something similar to ADOM... his chances are slim. Very slim.
    Does this mean you need to have a lot of luck to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    Does this mean you need to have a lot of luck to do it?
    While lots of people have time/motivation to start a project, few of them have enough to actually get it done. And the chance that one belongs to that small group of people is very small.

But unlike conventional luck, this is completely in your hands.

So the answer is "no".

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    While lots of people have time/motivation to start a project, few of them have enough to actually get it done. And the chance that one belongs to that small group of people is very small.

But unlike conventional luck, this is completely in your hands.

So the answer is "no".
    Thank you for the answer.

I told you already I change my mind. I am not making ADOM! I am making something different, based on ADOM, Nethack, ADOI, and various other games and some of my own ideas. If you play this game (once it is made) you will see that it isn't ADOM, although there are some similarities in the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by zzo38 View Post
    I told you already I change my mind. I am not making ADOM! I am making something different, based on ADOM, Nethack, ADOI, and various other games and some of my own ideas. If you play this game (once it is made) you will see that it isn't ADOM, although there are some similarities in the gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvalds
    Talk is cheap, show me the code.
    Anyway, how is it going?