Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can happen in case of source release...

technically adom wont die, as JADE is ADOM2.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

It's also possible that nothing happens. Well, at least nothing like in irrational fears that TB has. When I released Teemu's source code it was just ported to linux and Mac. People aren't interested in developing games or they don't feel comfortable with source code of different style than what they use. Of course, it's early to say in case of Teemu... I mean, the source code is really decent. It's got one known bug (turn spent when cancelling action) but that's pretty much it. It's clean, portable and quite easy to edit. Still, even after that I think it's unlikely that someone is going to create anything. It's not like it was Angband, so I think people require ultra easy editing. Just plain programming is too much for them. I believe that releasing ADOM's source code would attract only serious bug-fixing programmers and it would be good for everyone.

I'd assume at this point, with TB planning on porting ADOM to iPad and releasing a commercial "ADOM Deluxe" version, open source is off the table permanently.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

There are plenty of open source games on the iPhone already (including the roguelike POWDER), so it's really not exclusive.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    with TB planning on porting ADOM to iPad and releasing a commercial "ADOM Deluxe" version, open source is off the table permanently.
    You know, when TB was young he was a promising roguelike developer, but now he has fallen into the dark side of the force. Commercial games? Apple? All signs of the dark side.

If you're going to be a troll, at least be witty. "Dark side of the force", really?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I think this whole "I'm maybe releasing the source, what do you think.." is a hoax to cover the fact that parts of the ADOM's source code may be taken from other games like Nethack. He never planned to release the source anyway. He can get "upset" by some comments and then "decide" not to release the source code.

That was a minor improvement as far as wit goes, but props for trying. Unfortunately by posting in this thread, you made the impression that you needed three months and several weeks to come up with that one. For trolling purposes, it would have been better to create a new thread with an appropriately inflammatory title.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I think this whole "I'm maybe releasing the source, what do you think.." is a hoax to cover the fact that parts of the ADOM's source code may be taken from other games like Nethack.
    Does any code diver confirm this? Never read a single thread about it, and trust me, i've read tons of threads on codedived results.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Continous inactivity of TB made me think recently again about releasing Adom source code. While I still think that Adom is TB's child and if he wants to, he can do whatever he wants, personally from a player point of view it would be better if Adom sources would be released.

I don't consider crappy variants as a threat. Sure, there would some poor attempts at creating variants, but looking at what happened with NetHack and Crawl sources (Slash'EM and DC Stone Soup) gives hope that with group of skilled and creative people could make wonders with Adom.

Probably my huge dissapointment with TB's attitude had big impact on my change of view, but still looking objectively (as far as it is possible) I see more positive sides than negative (even if I realize that most likely it won't happen ever)...

Edit: Dumb me, wrong thread. It was supposed to go to "to release or to not release..." thread.