Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What could be removed from ADOM?

I'd rather see some rebalancing of certain things rather than outright removal... for example, there are a handful of skills (woodcrafting, haggling, metallurgy, survival, bridge building, law) that are pretty useless for general play in my experience. But I'd rather see useful applications for these skills, or have them replaced by ones that might be more useful. Similarly, a lot of talents are ridiculously underpowered and could probably be rebalanced. I think that the Sleep and Petrify conditions should be either removed or much more common. What's the point of having an intrinsic resistance to an attack that ONE rare monster in the game uses?

As far as locations go, I think that the maze should probably be cut by 2-3 floors in length. It would still be a good challenge, but it wouldn't feel as ridiculous as it currently does. Other than that, I can't think of anywhere else that I would want to lose. Gremlin Cave maybe? Bunny Master?

> what could be cut from ADOM without significant loss

Piety scumming, wish engines, Khelly crashes, dragon gold
    doubling, turn bug- Oh, you mean stuff that's intended to
    be there. Well, there's a lot of stuff that's not needed to
    win, but I like having it there for flavor. The only thing I
    would rather be cut is the quickling tree. A speed stat of
    400 is really just overkill.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

There are two types of monsters that use sleep attacks :P

Not sure why people want the quickling tree removed so much, though. It's in anybody's choice to make use of it, after all.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I think there are three with sleep, actually: werejackal, harpy, and homonculus. But yeah, overall the effect is kind of boring (har har).

Overall, I dunno. When I first started playing in g9, there was no: maze, bug temple, scintillating cave, talents, etc. ADOM was still very enjoyable then and had a very big following for RLs). But it's always been a game of as much stuff as possible, which is kind of the point. The only point of skills like haggling, I think, is to keep education/bards from being uber powerful.

Yeah, this is like the weirdest question in an ADOM forum EVAR.

As Silfir said, the reason ADOM is good is its diversity, and the fact that all that diversity is pretty much completely optional. In fact, with the breadth of challenge games out there, everything its possible to achieve in ADOM is optional.

And haggling and woodcraft (don't forget metallurgy FTW!) do indeed help balance !oTraining and SoEducation and the like.

I don't want dragon gold doubling removed, I certainly don't want the uberjackal effect removed, and I am happy to keep the exploitable integer overflow bugs in place as well. Its all about choice.

The only thing I would remove from ADOM are the fatal crashes, and if they never get removed, I could live with it.

/Oh, and don't tell Jhonka over at the other forum you want to remove the Maze, he will hunt you down with some very big axe he wants to show you, and it would be the last thing you see.

Put me in the uber-jackel fan club as well. To me, this is
    a great feature, but I know it's horrible for new players.
    The thing I don't like about dragon gold doubling is that
    it can happen by accident. After clearing a white dragon
    vault, your left wondering how much of that 1,000,000
    gold is really yours.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

and you're also wondering why all of a sudden you're Overburdened! when you only picked up money and a set of gloves. happened to me, cleared a white baby dragon tension room and ended up with about 30k or so and couldnt even carry it all.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Two monsters that use sleep attacks, one whose corpse causes you to fall asleep
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

?

As far as i know harpies, werejackals and homunculus uses sleep as attack. Harpies most frequently bot others too.

There used to be number three equall two plus one... Or i am getting that old?

Homonculus doesn't use a sleep attack, it just sends you to sleep if you eat it.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!