Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Races

Well, back on topic. This is probably going to be based upon TB's judgement. He didn't want to include everything in ADOM and most likely he wouldn't want to include everything in JADE. I'd be a bit surprised if he includes anything other than what he's mentioned in the past. I'm not sure if this is a bad thing, because sometimes having so many options at the start just makes choosing difficult and the difference is so small it shouldn't really matter.

Yeah, too many can dilute things far too much. As things stand the races are varied anough to allow for different playstyles with each. Ogres might feel too much like a cross between orcs and trolls, kobolds too much like evil hurthlings, etc. If a race is added it has to add something unique in playstyle, and especially it should alter the way you play certain classes. More exotic races like giants I think would cause the current equipment size dilemna to be even more profound (unless a whole new set of equipment is made for them, which to be frank would be boring).

Personally, I'd like to see something completely new and not based on races I've seen in other RPGs. A breathe of fresh air like Manbearpigs or even were-weres, as Spectre suggested. Now seriously - I'd be lovely if Biskup could create a new race. I don't dare suggesting anything ,because I'm not a creative type, but TB... let your creativity inspire you, mate!

An aquatic race that needs a "ring of air breathing" to survive. Maybe?

There does seem to be little gained from basically taking one type of race, eg. org, and copy/pasting them and calling them kobolds, goblins, gnolls, etc..

only race i suggest is an VAMPIRE...but seriously any new "evil" race will be good - "its good to be bad" quoting the classic

I think races are good as they are. Why have 100+1 almost indentical races? Every new race must be entirely unique by its function. Bad example: Angband variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Ore even: You begin your life as a rock.
    I'm all for it.

For a more eventful game: stone golems would be quite different from anything else. I don't have the typical sledge-hammer fisted brute in mind here, but something a little more light-hearted.

* very slow and a bit clumsy in general;
    * pretty fast when charging in a straight line as a boulder;
    * very strong;
    * very neutral (story-wise, disturbed by some folks tunneling in a mountain, as per ADOM's stone giants; or less dramatic and just out on a roll - I imagine them as a kind of slow surfer dudes);
    * can pass through stone - slowly;
    * tough (rock, you know), but damage heals exceedingly slowly, or not at all, or only by expensive artificial means, since we're talking about rock being chipped off.

They would be poor swimmers... but they could smoke a lot

But I reckon Thomas knows quite well what he wants for races.

Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    But I reckon Thomas knows quite well what he wants for races.
    I'm sure he does. In Master of Orion (if I remember correctly) you could create your own race, they had a list of skills and options each with some point value. There was a maximum number of points your race could have. For example, the ability to eat rocks instead of food (lithovore) cost quite a lot, so you couldn't get much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    More exotic races like giants I think would cause the current equipment size dilemna to be even more profound (unless a whole new set of equipment is made for them, which to be frank would be boring).
    Grey made a good point about the need for larger clothing for giants. However I see another reason why they are not very good candidates for a new race. To my view giants are superhuman beings which are meant to be a challenge for an "ordinary" being. If giants were included as a playable race they would have to be made too powerful.

Minotaurs, Centaurs and such are basically human/animal hybrids. Because of that I don't feel they would fit in the game as a playable race. None of the existing races are real hybrids and in my opinion just combining animal features and human features is uncreative.

In ADoM trolls require a lot experience to advance a level. Many are very reluctant to play as a troll because of this. If there will be relevant levels in JADE (though I don't hope so) maybe this could be changed by replacing the huge need for experience with another disadvantage. Learning does not affect the experience needed to gain levels anyhow. Of course another option would be to make the XP need dependent on Learning (at low Le values at least).

I'd also like the idea of drakelings with thermal vision in the same way as snakes. They would be able to see in darkness with ease but they would have difficulties seeing in places where the background is hot like in ToEF in ADoM.

I've felt that ADoM is lacking an "intelligent" "evil" race. All the chaotic races have fairly low learning.
    Last edited by Nezur; 06-03-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezur View Post
    I've felt that ADoM is lacking an "intelligent" "evil" race. All the chaotic races have fairly low learning.
    Dark elves are pretty intelligent.