Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Races

Default Races

I'd like to see pc races expanded a bit in JADE.

Theres quite a few classes in ADOM but only 10 races total and 3 of them are elf-types which in my book really only makes that 8 races.

How about races like:

shadow, drow, faerie, etc.

Or maybe let the pc choose some races that are in adom that you can't pick now - like a goblin or ratling.

Ratlings
    elves
    Humans
    drakelings
    Orcs
    Evil shoelaces from hell
    Centaur
    Minotaur (a smarter troll)
    Troll
    Gnome
    Dwarf
    Ghoul (I wanna play undead!)
    hurthlings
    merfolk
    Naga

and...

WERECOWS! (female version of the centaur)
    I never won a Adom game...

I vote for were-weres.
    Normally they wander the land in their buffed animal form, but when irritated, they switch back to the wimpy human form in a 'Confused' state.

TB said there will be a couple new races in JADE.
    I must disagree that all the three elves are the same. They differ in skills, attributes, aligment, eating habits, and how other races react to them. High and Grey elves are not that different, but Dark the variety is a different kind completely.
    I believe these differences would be more distinct in JADE, since we'll get to see whole setlements of every race.

"How about races like:
    shadow, drow, faerie, etc."

And, may I ask, how does the drow differ from the Dork Elves ADOM sports?

TB has already stated there will be mist elves, hill dwarves and ratlings. I would welcome other races, but they'd have to be distinctly different to be worth including. All the races in ADOM do have a distinct feel to them, with their different stats and skills and some special abilities and effects. Extra evil races might be nice, since all the ones being added are neutral or lawful. Some of the ones suggested are, I feel, a tad on the unrealistic side (with the exception of shoelaces of course). Minotaurs would be nice, considering they already have some depth in ADOM - they could have high St, To, Wi, with Detect Traps and Alertness skills, and would be unable to wear helmets. Kobolds are an obvious choice too - they'd have generally poor stats other than Dex, with archery and stealth skills, and enemies would generally be unafraid of them (and thus have their guard low).
    Last edited by Grey; 03-19-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Ogre? And, maybe, gnolls.

JADE seems like it's going to include as much as possible. So perhaps the races might be expanded too. We'll wait for the official word from TB, of course, but we can still suggest some.

Eg. Giants, quicklings, ghosts, mimics, dnyarri, etc.

Does the PC even need to be human? For example, a giant spider. Ore even: You begin your life as a rock. "Ugh, you try to move east but fail. Seventy-five million years pass."

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    JADE seems like it's going to include as much as possible. So perhaps the races might be expanded too. We'll wait for the official word from TB, of course, but we can still suggest some.

Eg. Giants, quicklings, ghosts, mimics, dnyarri, etc.

Does the PC even need to be human? For example, a giant spider. Ore even: You begin your life as a rock. "Ugh, you try to move east but fail. Seventy-five million years pass."
    The Dwarven smith throws you into the forge. You melt! You die...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    haha that made me laugh. After successfully moving you can 5 levels of experience woot! a chance to roll would be a check against your dexterity which starts at a whopping 1. Bet rocks got high sta and str though! and wil, who could possible influence a rock to think its anything more than what it is? they're old and they've seen it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannis View Post
    The Dwarven smith throws you into the forge. You melt! You die...
    That's even funnier after I realised I made the typo "ore" instead of "or."

Rocks have some really good skills though: incredibly stealthy, extremely long-lived, can survive under-water.

And enemies' weapons would break on them!

I vote for rocks... and for Moomintrolls of course (small Dx, big To, everything else on average)
    Me is troll, me is moomintroll! Me likes ADoM... Me likes Dwarf Fortress... Dis two games is the ones best!

Oh, me likes zombies too!