Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Perfect-looking full screen ADOM in Vista.

When playing ADOM on Windows XP, I found that the best way to get a good, oldschool-looking, robust, full screen (or windowed) ADOM was to run the Linux Version through ADOM Sage.

Now, Windows Vista does not allow one to use good fonts or to go full screen. So, I suppose the best way to run ADOM Sage is to use my new utility cons2tcod. I have not tested it well, though.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Mother of god, I don't know how some of you folks play with those fonts! I've attached a screenshot of mine, I always thought it looked like this for everyone. I didn't do any mucking with it after I downloaded the client, so I figured it was the default.

How do you change your fonts anyway? I'm interested in a little experimentation.

Edit: image resolution got all wanked up when i uploaded, image is here: http://i.imgur.com/eMV1D.png

This is what my ADOM screen looks like.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    When playing ADOM on Windows XP, I found that the best way to get a good, oldschool-looking, robust, full screen (or windowed) ADOM was to run the Linux Version through ADOM Sage.

Now, Windows Vista does not allow one to use good fonts or to go full screen. So, I suppose the best way to run ADOM Sage is to use my new utility cons2tcod. I have not tested it well, though.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.
    HOLY SHIT IT'S WORKING! FULLSCREEN ADOM!

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLE-E-E-LUJAAAAH!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

My ADOM font looks like the one in fazisi's screenshot, only the colouring is slightly different. I've loved it from the start mainly because of the way walls looked(mine were white though - ok, maybe the colouring wasn't just _slightly_ off)
    What the pictures here don't show and I am most familiar with is ADOM on Windows XP played fullscreen - that is, the playing area is extended to the whole screen, so i got huge dungeons..
    Sadly, today I found out that windows 7 doesn't allow me to run in fullscreen, not to mention that the font isn't the same(I can't stand the one with brown and yellow frontend). Following what people on the Internet mentioned, I finally managed to install the virtual pc machine..only to find out that I still can't take the window to fullscreen - probably need to downgrade those video drivers..I got the ADOM fever again, can't wait to get back in the game..

Do you all really play fullscreen? I hate fullscreen, whatever I play or do. I hate fullscreen internet browsers, I hate fullscreen irc and I hate fullscreen ADOM. The ADOM window should take up at most 1/6 of the screen.

1/6 - what kind of screen do you have? One of those HD TVs that double as monitor?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I just play in regular DOS to get large dungeons. It's pretty cool until you start starving.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by Timpak View Post
    Do you all really play fullscreen? I hate fullscreen, whatever I play or do. I hate fullscreen internet browsers, I hate fullscreen irc and I hate fullscreen ADOM. The ADOM window should take up at most 1/6 of the screen.
    Agreed. Fullscreen is useless and dangerous at work

Yes, but ADOM is old!

Win9x's, were the operating systems of the day, and made fullscreen
    ADOM look amazing on your 800 x 600 vga. If you got used to seeing
    it that way, it makes your stomache crawl to see the game represented
    in tiny windows with fonts like lucida. Just because we have more pixels
    to work with doesn't mean everything has to be high def, antialiased,
    v-synched, tripple buffered, perfectly circular and *tiny*. Give me the
    good old fashioned dos look anyday.

Alt+enter was your 'boss key' and the world was good. Then came 'progress'.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."