Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Perfect-looking full screen ADOM in Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    When playing ADOM on Windows XP, I found that the best way to get a good, oldschool-looking, robust, full screen (or windowed) ADOM was to run the Linux Version through ADOM Sage.

Now, Windows Vista does not allow one to use good fonts or to go full screen. So, I suppose the best way to run ADOM Sage is to use my new utility cons2tcod. I have not tested it well, though.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.
    So, I've been using this cons2cod some and found it great. With one minor flaw - I can't use any keycommands with alt-modifier like @ or \. Is it becouse it uses american keyboard layout or something?

Could someone either tell me a workaround or how to get @ and \ going?

And some nice thread resurrection I did - sorry I guess

I think you are referencing the winbeta vs dos version difference.
    You have to remap your keybindings. @ should be PC info, \ should
    be corruption status.

#
    # Display chaos powers
    #

CHP:\\

#
    # Display character information
    #

DCI:@
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I think you are referencing the winbeta vs dos version difference.
    You have to remap your keybindings. @ should be PC info, \ should
    be corruption status.

#
    # Display chaos powers
    #

CHP:\\

#
    # Display character information
    #

DCI:@
    Well I'm using linux version (as suggested for cons2cod) and I figured that somehow only alt-modifiers are not working like they should, so its not a keyboard "language" issue.

Next stupid question. How to remap keys? I managed to win a game allready without @ $ and \ so its no biggie but annoying.

Modify the adom.kbd file in the adom.data folder.

I should note that if there's an American keyboard issue then shift-2 should work for @. Not sure about the others.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Modify the adom.kbd file in the adom.data folder.

I should note that if there's an American keyboard issue then shift-2 should work for @. Not sure about the others.
    Great, thanks the both of yous.

Definately not the american keyboard issue cos only alt is not working. I have stuff like >< %& right where it should be.

So I've just had to install Windows 7 (goddamnit) on my comp to get Mafia 2 working without bugs, and ADOM will not go fullscreen in ADOM sage.. just wondering if this way would work for windows 7, anyone know?

I had a bad experience - after running ADOM fullscreen this way, the next time my computer started it was set to 640x480, leading to complete disorganization of my desktop icons after setting it back. Same thing happens when I play Knytt or Knytt Stories fullscreen - that might have been a video card problem.

I'm pretty sure it should run under 7. Give it a try, it's not like it's a huge download
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

getting the "adom sage with corrected colors" shortcut, checking off full screen, then raising the font size works just as well also with less steps. If anyone needs that shortcut these days I still have it.

nevermind looks like theres a limit on how big you can make the font without making adom mad. I still have that shortcut though.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    So, I've been using this cons2cod some and found it great. With one minor flaw - I can't use any keycommands with alt-modifier like @ or \. Is it becouse it uses american keyboard layout or something?

Could someone either tell me a workaround or how to get @ and \ going?
    Have you tried pressing Shift+2 for @? (that's where the @ key is on the US layout, google for it to see where other keys are). The \ key should be somewhere on the right (but I have seen it in different places on different keyboards). cons2tcod handles keys via libtcod, so I am not sure how it works and whether I can help with that, maybe it does not support keys with alt-modifier...

Of course, redefining keys in ADOM is also an option.

Thanks for trying cons2tcod!

My solution for Windows Vista: Download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and install Win XP on it. From there, i've installed ADOM-sage, and use the corrected colour shortcut to point to adom-sage. Then it's just RightALT-ENTER to fullscreen the virtual PC window, run adom-sage.lnk, hit LeftALT-ENTER and boom, perfect colour fullscreen mode on my Win Vista Laptop.

For Windows 7: Download Microsoft Virtual PC XP Mode for Win 7. It already comes with win xp installed on it and it's the same steps as above.

Yay for installing a complete OS just for ADOM. It may take up 2GB of disk space to do it this way, but it's worth it in my opinion. What's 2GB these days anyway? A pirated UFC ppv and a few Adult Swim cartoons. I think i can make that sacrifice