Thread: Drowned in cargo pants and stolen hotel towels

Default Drowned in cargo pants and stolen hotel towels

Candle hurthling assassin. Quite possibly my worst death ever, in terms of stupidity versus how far I was in the game. Was on the ADOM server, so flg and game can be viewed at http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_users/aleph/

I had a pretty lucky game. Thrundarr asked me to kill a giant frog, I found 7LB while herb farming in the big room, and I found great armor throughout the game, especially my precrown, Protector (1st time I've seen it). I equipped a ring of doom to get the frog, and finish up my 20 outlaws. I decided to grab a giant boar skull while I was there though, and this started my run of bad luck. My weapon could barely injure the boar and I couldn't outrun him. I eventually became hungry, and I almost died while trying to eat. So I prayed...And instead of being healed I'm satiated. And I had to pray for food 4 or so times earlier when getting precrowned, so this wipes out the rest of my piety, and I have to down potions to survive. Then I went to the HMV, where Whirlwind was on sale. I bought it, then went to the UD to build my piety back up. On UD 6 or 7 there was a neutral altar which I tried to convert to L by saccing a goblin. All my gear poofs, including my 7lb. Everything but protector turns to dust. First time that's ever happened to me.

I try again. Same thing, though I only lose some cursed gloves. I'm guessing if you have 0 or negative piety your god can't or won't protect you. I hit DF, teleport to vault, and the best weapon I find is...Soaker. I clear graveyard, find a sword of sharpness, immediately lose it to an acid trap in the pyramid, and find 7LB and a RoDS in there. I return to the CoC, and finish Thrundarr's quests, and apparently I found a ring of weakness in the graveyard or somewhere. Finding a ring of weakness before you do the ogre cave = win. I only get a single point out of it though. How sad. I then zip back up to the top to grab some more herbs, and accidentally kill a cat after I pull him to another level to lock him away, and end up taking a swing while clearing out a room full of spiders. Boy, does that piss me off. I then rush to khelly, to hand in the AoLS before I can engage in further stupidity, like searching for and finding a tension room on the second level of the dh. Oh wait. Well, at least it wasn't full of ghost lords. I finally reach Khelavaster, hand in the amulet, get the loot, and I decide to chomp down on an ogre lord corpse I got moments before. Right after I put on my ring of weakness. I'm so excited from handing in the amulet that I forget to drop my crap. I should also mention that I'm a packrat.

"Sinistral, the hurthling assassin, was crushed by tons of luggage."

Ouch. These kinds of games have taught me not to do dumb shit with altars unnecessarily. It's much easier to change alignment than it is to change the alignment of an altar.

I've died to a ring of weakness too (unIDed one). That's why I pretty much despise these things; I don't like abusing them anyway. Equipping unidentified rings is too dangerous in general in my book.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

agree, my list of dangerous stuff unID'd goes

scrolls>wands>rings>potions

wands is so high up there because i've been zapped plenty of times using an unID'd wand of ball lightning. ouch. scrolls are the worst for me, hate reading a scroll of item destruction and loosing nice stuff.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

If you want to convert an altar, do it with money. 3000 should be enough, never failed me in early game at least. In late game I either don't bother or have enough to sac excessively just in case.