Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scummy tactics: which ones would you remove/solve from Adom/Jade? How?

I actually think changing how AI behaves around darkness and invisible PCs would be an improvement that would be worth considering. Either 1) mobs run away immediately if they are attacked and don't respond or 2) they act like current blind monsters and may stumble into the PC to do damage. I'd also add proper resistances to blind, confusion, stun, and paralysis, which are all pretty overpowered.

I think the OP just took the list of "scummy tactics" from the Wiki page on the subject. That list is not necessarily exhaustive.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'd say the only one that seems like a huge exploit for me is scumming for stats after purposefully making yourself sick
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

I would probably do away with starving stat training, too.
    With patience you can get your Wi and Dx to about 45-50.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

That could be fixed simply by having the game check the unmodified value of the attribute instead of the modified one. If your Dx really is 30, but have a -20 modifier, checking the stat when raising it should return Dx:30 instead of Dx:10.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

The ONLY problem i see with that is that it doesn't take corruptions (which after all are how your body IS, not supposedly impermanent) into account. To me, training via corruptions are a valid feature and not a exploit.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Maybe have three values for stats, say, call them "modifiedStat",
    "unmodifiedStat" and "damagedStat". The value of modifiedStat
    would be the totals for each stat after modifications such as
    corruptions and magical enhancements. The value of unmodifiedStat
    would be your base stats, without anything boosting or lowering
    them. The value of damagedStat would be the totals of each
    stat after magical or natural detriments are taken into consideration.

To display your "real" stats:

The game would first take the unmodified stat, and then figure out
    for each stat the difference between modifiedStat and damagedStat
    are. For example:

Code:
    unmodifiedStat:
    St: 11 Dx: 14 To: 13 Ch: 9

modifiedStat:
    St: 14 Dx: 30 To: 20 Ch: 9

damagedStat:
    St: 11 Dx: 4 To: 20 Ch: 1
    Code:
    The difference between each value:
    unmodifiedStat
    St: 11 Dx: 14 To: 13 Ch: 9 //That is, this is the base.

modifiedStat
    St: +3 Dx: +16 To: +7 Ch: +0

damagedStat
    St: +0 Dx: -10 To: +0 Ch: -14
    From here, it would add both modifiedStat's and damagedStat's
    differences to your displayed stats. For training purposes, the
    game only uses modifiedStat's values. Damaged stats are, for
    example, St set to 2 because of a ring of weakness, Wi lowered
    because of starvation, etc.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

My favorite solution would be to make potential maximums hard. If we allow stat potions to raise them, make stat potions rare. ADOM was a save-the-world game where becoming a superhero was quite in line with the setting. JADE doesn't have to go the same route.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I agree with you on that Silfir. Heck theres multiple endings where you yourself end up being a god, an avatar, a demi god, etc. JADE in my mind is a much larger world with a lot more "heros" about than adom did. I think it should be EXREMELY hard to get an ending where you achieve that status. Make it the most epic of epic quests to do.

ya know I just had a thought though...

wouldnt it be so awesome to play JADE online with others? They already have online *bands. Of course most of those arent very fun and the real time aspect of it makes it a bit hard to keep up with.

I just think it would be so hilarious to see that Gut worked hard to become a famous character in a certain area of the world, did all this hard work, became lord of some keep, and Grey comes along with his warband of trolls he somehow befriended and knocked all that hard work in the dust.
    Last edited by Sradac; 03-20-2010 at 04:43 AM.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

SO THAT'S HOW ANCARDIA WAS CREATED!!! a meeting between the force of chaos and of law.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

True online JADE (there's already MUDs, after all) won't happen in a million years, but perhaps the ability to export a world for others to play in, including your character?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.