Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Scummy tactics: which ones would you remove/solve from Adom/Jade? How?

Maybe shops should serve as an "exchange" kind of shops? You sell ten items of junk, you get one good item you desire in return. No need to offer it all back to the player.

The problem with fighting scumming is that it actually forces players to use MORE scumming.
    Limit on herbs/corpses/crystals of knowledge/potions of balance? Now we have to stairhop in ID, wait for eternity to get enough stomafillia for sacrifice and use gremling bombing - and this is far more tedious and boring. Uberjackals as a way to "fix" grinding actually made the game much less interesting.

P.S. limit on stat increase via Potions of Balance was not a good idea - they are almost as limited a resource as PoGA.
    Last edited by SinsI; 06-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Maybe shops should serve as an "exchange" kind of shops? You sell ten items of junk, you get one good item you desire in return. No need to offer it all back to the player.
    No, it's really easy to find bad items, and again, people would scum for those "bad" items just to get the good one in the shop. Displacement.

Now we have to stairhop in ID, wait for eternity to get enough stomafillia for sacrifice and use gremling bombing - and this is far more tedious and boring.
    If you tell me who FORCES anyone to scumm, he'll rapidly have a vanquisher and an executor planted in his back
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

The problem with fighting scumming is that it actually forces players to use MORE scumming.
    Dude, if you find yourself having to scum the ID in order to survive your jackal based scumming sessions, then believe me, you are doing something wrong. Very wrong.

There is no need to scum at all in ADOM, its perfectly possible to just advance steadily though the quests, gaining levels as you go, and complete the game.

I scum ratlings for gauntlets.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Dude, if you find yourself having to scum the ID in order to survive your jackal based scumming sessions, then believe me, you are doing something wrong. Very wrong.

There is no need to scum at all in ADOM, its perfectly possible to just advance steadily though the quests, gaining levels as you go, and complete the game.
    If you are playing wizard - yes, if you luck out and find the right books(and ID stairhop is still the easiest way to do it).
    But if you are playing an orcish merchant, you need every trick up your sleeve - gold doubling, stairhop for blink dogs, herb farming to get pre/crowned... And uberjackals become a problem because you have no reliable way of quickly dispatching jackalwares.
    You can't just "steadily advance" because old monsters have already grown strong and give very little exp, and new monsters that should've replaced them in your kill list are still too strong and are a sure way to die.

If you are playing wizard - yes, if you luck out and find the right books(and ID stairhop is still the easiest way to do it).
    But if you are playing an orcish merchant, you need every trick up your sleeve - gold doubling, stairhop for blink dogs, herb farming to get pre/crowned... And uberjackals become a problem because you have no reliable way of quickly dispatching jackalwares.
    You can't just "steadily advance" because old monsters have already grown strong and give very little exp, and new monsters that should've replaced them in your kill list are still too strong and are a sure way to die.
    Orc merchant, no ID, no herbs, no gold doubling, gremlin bombs, piety scum or other obvious exploits? Sure, I'll take that challenge.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I might take it too, if I don't get fed up with merchants soon - as well as my weakest link merchant, I have a dwarven maximum precrowns merchant attempt on the go at the moment as well... the latter is definitely scum-tastic though, by definition

Just for you SinsI: Scum-free Orc Merchant.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.