Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranged > melee classes ?

Default Ranged > melee classes ?

I was thinking that ranged classes have a huge advantage in the game? Just for the fact to many monsters have corruption attacks or drain stats, or age you. This is true for most of the bosses in the game, which mostly are taken out by ranged anyway, even when playing melee?

Ofcourse pure melee is fun as well, since there is nothing more annoying then to gather 328328728 arrows on the floor, or try to find that one spellbook that you need :P.

Or are there some tactics i'm not aware of when playing melee?

Quote Originally Posted by speciesxx View Post
    I was thinking that ranged classes have a huge advantage in the game?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by speciesxx View Post
    Or are there some tactics i'm not aware of when playing melee?
    No

(IMO)

Yep, ranged is better, I think, and I think most people think. Still, playing BARBARIANS(orcish) and bards are fun .
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

The game has been completed several times by using ranged attacks only. At least 2 times with only rocks, once with only shields and a few times with only coins.

And plenty with only spells, at least once with only thrown spears, and once with only acid spit.

Ranged attacks are of course intrinsically safer, and when it comes to slaying missiles they tend to do more damage too - it's a win-win situation. The only real advantage to melee is ease of us - just hol down the direction key. If you want to go primarily melee then it's best to rely on a few tricks to disable your opponents attacks and thus make yourself safer. Stunning, blinding and paralysis are all favourites. High speed or SLBs can allow for fairly safe hack n back tactics too.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I really want to try out the wielding your starting ration as a weapon challenge game. Can it be done?
    ________
    Expert insurance
    Last edited by fazisi; 04-02-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    I really want to try out the wielding your starting ration as a weapon challenge game. Can it be done?
    good luck damaging the ASB with it. if you mean no ranged attacks nor spells... really... good luck with your barbarian giving tremendous blows every time.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    And plenty with only spells, at least once with only thrown spears, and once with only acid spit.

Ranged attacks are of course intrinsically safer, and when it comes to slaying missiles they tend to do more damage too - it's a win-win situation. The only real advantage to melee is ease of us - just hol down the direction key. If you want to go primarily melee then it's best to rely on a few tricks to disable your opponents attacks and thus make yourself safer. Stunning, blinding and paralysis are all favourites. High speed or SLBs can allow for fairly safe hack n back tactics too.
    any record of just thrown daggers? Thou i wouldn't attempt it just becasue it's boring, but every assassin I play i feel tempted to do just that, and then I get far slayer....
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

(Using a food ration as only weapon)
    Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    good luck damaging the ASB with it. if you mean no ranged attacks nor spells... really... good luck with your barbarian giving tremendous blows every time.
    In an earlier version, i played a few barbarians who only wielded non-weapons. The best was eventually double-bolted by Nuurag-Vaarn (as expected), but did manage to take down the ASB with tremendous blows. I think i was wielding the Orb of Fire at the time, and the ASB hadn't been bumped up to 60 PV yet. Past level six or so, such games are first and foremost a test of your patience, particularly against summoners.

Let's see - two perfect rings of slaying, berserk, 30+ strength - it should be possible to at least do damage with tremendous blows even with a food ration, but each attack will take 4200 energy, so prepare to take a hammering in return. Find weakness should be quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    You could always smith the starting weapon. Or doesn't smithing give damage? I've never actually used it

Rings of slaying and rings of damage can also be helpful...