Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a very good-looking monk

Default Advice for a very good-looking monk

So I'm getting back into ADOM again, and have this wonderfully lucky candle-born dwarven monk going. He has an eternium tower shield (which he isn't using), a phase dagger, and 2 RoDS. He was precrowned with the Crown of Leadership and crowned with the robes of resistance. He has ~30 PV, and still (I think) gets the monk DV bonuses and (definitely) the ability to use unarmed combat effectively. He just cleaned out the right side of darkforge at level 15, just after doing the pyramid and dwarven graveyard. The steel golems were "failing to hurt" me half of the time.

His Le is only 12 thanks to the dwarven demon quest (but no other stats were drained), and I haven't gotten around to herb-scumming properly, so most of his stats (highest being To with a score of 20, but is boosted to 25 with the robes) aren't as good as other characters I've had.

I'm surprised it worked out this well though The UD was very unremarkable (1 herb level, a general store, a forge, a carrot room and a bunch of tension rooms was all that was generated) and neither the PC nor the DD had an altar in it, so I had to get precrowned in the CoC.

1. What to wish for?

I'm thinking one of the RoDS is for khelly and the other for "emperor moloch", but I'm not so sure. I will probably pool-scum for teleport control, invisibillity, and other intrinsics and could get a wish for khelly that way.

2. What to watch out for? This is a really promising character and I don't want him to die!

Look out for dangerous doppelgangers, ghosts (i don't kow bout dwarves lifespan, but i guess it ain't one you can go through like an elves, especially if you wish to pool scum), Usual dangerous undeads, abondonned shops ARE dangerous without para resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by F50 View Post
    1. What to wish for?

I'm thinking one of the RoDS is for khelly and the other for "emperor moloch", but I'm not so sure. I will probably pool-scum for teleport control, invisibillity, and other intrinsics and could get a wish for khelly that way.
    Emperor moloch requires a bit of preparation... daemon slaying ammo are a lot better than a phase dagger, because you (presumably) don't have enough carrying capacity to pick up any moloch armors that happen to drop, which means you're at risk of having to deal with an ubermoloch. I usually prefer wishing for AKWs to avoid the hassle.

Khelly wish isn't bad... the teleport book is certainly pretty good for you, for instance. SoCR aren't super important for monks since you can make them without stat loss from writing sets, but still doesn't hurt to have more. You can't be in that bad of shape though, because I am drawing a blank as to what else might be worth wishing for I will plug the What to wish for article in the Wiki though.

2. What to watch out for? This is a really promising character and I don't want him to die!
    Just play it safe and you should be okay. At this point in the game there's few things that should seriously endanger you with the set of artifacts you've got. Unless you are desperately intending to play unarmed, don't be afraid to switch to a weapon + your shield if a nice weapon (Executor, etc.)

If you haven't yet, you might want to go eat the Oracle for the +6 learning. Maybe train with Garth up to ~15 first though. Watch out for death rays, and note that her corpse also dooms + curses. With around 20 learning, you should be able to learn spells reasonably well.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 11-06-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Girdle of Giant Strength is something that you might want to wish for, although it's very annoying if it gets destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Emperor moloch requires a bit of preparation... daemon slaying ammo are a lot better than a phase dagger, because you (presumably) don't have enough carrying capacity to pick up any moloch armors that happen to drop, which means you're at risk of having to deal with an ubermoloch. I usually prefer wishing for AKWs to avoid the hassle.
    I'm already kinda leery of wishing for emperor moloch because it seems like an exploit. Wishing for a monster that will never get a chance to fight back seems way out there to me. Also, since I won't be fighting burdened, picking up moloch armor shouldn't be a problem. After all, monks can move quite fast. Also if I do wish for them, I will probably do so on DD:2 or so, and lead them one-by one up to DD:1, where I'll kick myself out a nice circular shape to kill them on. While this does expose you for a single turn per moloch, it eliminates all the other problems of moloch-farming. I'll need to have enough hp to take one hit just in case though.

Or...I could continue pool-scumming for khelly, and get an AoLS for myself to face the molochs with...

If you haven't yet, you might want to go eat the Oracle for the +6 learning. Maybe train with Garth up to ~15 first though. Watch out for death rays, and note that her corpse also dooms + curses. With around 20 learning, you should be able to learn spells reasonably well.
    Never done this before, explain this further, please. IIRC I have an amulet of death ray resistance, but even with that death rays do up to 200 damage (I have ~180 hp right now). How do you make this battle a safe one? I'll begin Le training with Garth immediately, and try and remember where I got my few morgia roots and moss.

Also, I picked up both teleport control and teleportitis from a pool.

Death rays only travel in straight lines and the oracle won't leave the island. All you need for a safe kill is to stand in a suitable square (e.g. one to the east and several to the south) and use missiles.

I'm already kinda leery of wishing for emperor moloch because it seems like an exploit. Wishing for a monster that will never get a chance to fight back seems way out there to me. Also, since I won't be fighting burdened, picking up moloch armor shouldn't be a problem. After all, monks can move quite fast. Also if I do wish for them, I will probably do so on DD:2 or so, and lead them one-by one up to DD:1, where I'll kick myself out a nice circular shape to kill them on. While this does expose you for a single turn per moloch, it eliminates all the other problems of moloch-farming. I'll need to have enough hp to take one hit just in case though.
    Well, moloch armor weighs 15000s, so you need a lot (>30 I think) strength to even lift one and not be instantly overburdened. If you're killing the molochs one at a time on a different level, I guess you could kick them away from the killing area at least.

Never done this before, explain this further, please. IIRC I have an amulet of death ray resistance, but even with that death rays do up to 200 damage (I have ~180 hp right now). How do you make this battle a safe one? I'll begin Le training with Garth immediately, and try and remember where I got my few morgia roots and moss.

Also, I picked up both teleport control and teleportitis from a pool.
    The oracle can't move off the square that she is standing on (doesn't cross water), and death rays can only travel in a straight line. So the easiest thing to do is stand visible but off to one side of her, and shoot missiles--she's only got like 20 HP--until she dies. Don't step into her line of sight and you have no risk. Even if you can't see her, you should be able to maneouver yourself in such a way so that your missile trajectories will fly over the square she stands on.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

What is a pool-scum? In my savescumming days I called savescumming a pool for wishes/intstrincts pool scumming... What is pool scumming?
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

>and lead them one-by one up to

More easily said than done. They smash walls.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Whats the AP of that monk?
    Sorry... You said he was good-looking.
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"