Thread: Kicking with a monk

Default Kicking with a monk

Monks have decent damage kicks (not as good as hand techniques, but still good). However, there are some odd messages that you can get from kicking. When you kick someone to death you usually get the message "you kick the foo and slay him!". But some monsters give other messages "You kick the air demon and vanquish it!". Does this have a special effect or is it just a different message?

I always wondered why monks got bonuses to kicking.
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

Because they know martial arts. Think of them like the monks in kung fu movies.

Strong Kicker can actually make your monk into an ass kicking machine of awesomeness, especially if you find Spiked Heels. You'll do more damage by kicking than you do with your hands. At that point, a hurthling using Circle Kick can potentially become unstoppable, given his naturally high DV. A shame about the Dex penalty for wearing shoes, though...

As far as the differing messages go, I think it's just flavor text. You never can know, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendorax View Post
    Strong Kicker can actually make your monk into an ass kicking machine of awesomeness, especially if you find Spiked Heels. You'll do more damage by kicking than you do with your hands. At that point, a hurthling using Circle Kick can potentially become unstoppable, given his naturally high DV. A shame about the Dex penalty for wearing shoes, though...
    The Dx penalty is irrelevant it's just -2, and due to the way herb training works, it can even be turned into a slight benefit.

Kicking seems to advance slower in power than barehanded attacks, and more importantly apparently doesn't profit from the 'barehanded combat' weapon skill - i.e. you won't enjoy the to-hit and damage boni you get for your punches _and_ you'll always have an action energy of 1000 instead of the ~700 you can get with your hands. At high skill, you'll perform about 40% more attacks with your hands than with your feet. And i don't think there's a situation when you can get your full-powered kick without having the higher-powered punch available at the same time.

The only benefit of strong kicker that's worth having is the very slightly faster kicking-down of walls.

Fun fact: Iron Boots also boost kick damage, not only Spiked Boots (though not as much). Boost their, well, armor plating by smithing or scrolling and they'll boost it more =)