Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday the 13th - Game report thread

Default Friday the 13th - Game report thread

And the game is on!

Use this thread to post progress reports. Before I used to say "edit original post" but that just sucks, so make new attitions is probably best. So we know what to look for.

Details of death is good, so we can evaluate whether you were stupid or just ...cursed.

Try to keep discussions in other thread, and limit this one to progress reports only.

Oh, the high score list is right here:

• Warheart - ALIVE & WON the game. 22466728 points, 125521 turns
    • meh - ALIVE & WON the game CURSED. 13409732 points, 110535 turns. TROPHY: VOODOO DOLL
    • Molach - ALIVE & WON the game. 11646880 points, 81964 turns.
    • Jellyslayer - ALIVE & ULTRA VICTORY. 10015777 points 80253 turns.
    • Silfir - ALIVE & WON the game. 9904532 points, 84943 turns. TROPHY:INFLATABLE BARBIE
    • derf - ALIVE
    • Al Khwarizmi - ALIVE
    • Evil Kneivel - DEAD - slain for stealing and assault by Hellandiros, the human shopkeeper - 345651 points, 76113 turns
    • pblack - DEAD - killed for shoplifting by Hellandiros, the human shopkeeper - 267066 points, 106164 turns.
    • Soirana - DEAD - killed by a critical hit from a steel golem - 32556 points, 4009 turns.
    • Fazisi - DEAD - hacked to pieces by a raging hill orc sergeant - 18039 points, 6339 turns.
    • Ln - DEAD - chopped up, diced & eaten by a pack of ants. - 8116 points, 2531 turns.
    • Zasvid - DEAD - devoured by worms - 6937 points, 3692 turns.
    • EpicMan - DEAD - executed as a criminal by Twyneth Pare, the Sheriff - 4351 points, 1803 turns.
    • Captain Patypus - DEAD - killed by a stone block trap - 3548 points, 1474 turns - TROPHY: GET-WELL-SOON-CARD.
    • Jack the Ripper - DEAD - His body shriveled to an empty husk by powerful magicks - 2217 points, 1115 turns
    • Cheatman - DEAD - smashed skull by stone block - 2166 points, 1755 turns
    • F50 - DEAD - eaten by a snarling pack of blink dogs - (score/turns missing).
    • gut - LOST - devoured by a game bug
    • Anonyone - LOST - eliminated by a game bug

Remember that the souls of the righteous are in the hands of God.

Best of unluck to you all.
    Last edited by Molach; 11-22-2009 at 06:14 AM.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

I didn't really really try to let this one last very long, but I somehow could survive. I have the impression that being cursed is not so bad for these spellcasters ... So, progress: not so much yet, but I went straight to dwarftown and i am there now. I got a lot of books and this stupid guy really needs them. And I am still cursed. Most of the time, a battle axe of lightning helped me instakilling many mobs, but i lost to a trap on D8 or 9. The big room holds some morgia and moss, but it is too crowded right now. And thrundarr, not sure if I may reveal his quest...

Well, what doya know. Its idnight and the oon is up. Lets go before soething ysterious happens to e.

Went to terinyo, got 3 quests, and headed to village dungeon.
    Killed a giant rat first. Took, of course, tough skin at level 3.
    VD:2 has an altar on it., sac enough to get lucky. Lucky but cursed.
    VD:4 has a healer, and anoter altar. Both N, by the way. Reach level 6 and get even harder skin.
    Take a little breath. Decide it is late enough to risk a brief sleep.
    Darkness engulfs me...
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

My game is going great so far. Tried PC for an altar with no luck. Didn't even get to the doggie due to the risk of transpassing PC: 5

Saved carpenter with little trouble. Dwarves are good for this since they can create a couple of slaves w/o getting to C. Slaves helped me a lot.

I was feeling lucky and went for an UD dive trying for another altar. No luck there, nothing remarkable in the UD.

Then... surge of power in D: 3 or 4... whirlwind in the hands of a named outlaw. I just loved it, it's gonna be good not to depend solely on spells for ranged attacks.

Herbs ahoy. 2 levels with morgia and moss before DT (not including BR). Pumped myself to the 27 mark on all 3 stats.

Goblin slavemaster as thundarr's kill. Got a ring of damage and some [+2 +4] studded leather armor. Using iron-shod quarterstaff for damage and DV since NO SHIELDS were generated. TH was missed, i never.... never had gotten to DT with so little gear. I got a good deal of potions and missiles, that's true, but not much wereable gear.

I should also mention that i got a potion of learning and got my Le to 15.

Still cursed, gonna build a safe path in the early CoC, hoard a little in the BR and work on removing my cursing asap. gonna get TH next. Bookwise, i got quite a lot actually. Fire bolt, magic missle, dark, light, farsight, atlas, improved fireball and bless i think. I just read them all to the bare end. 13 PV now makes it OK to melee most stuff in early CoC and the sling is there to help when needed.

This is one lucky Friday 13th =P

EDIT: Since it is late and nobody saw it yet, i'm gonna update with and edit.

thundarr is happy, stoma patch gave me my chaotic crowning and as agreed, i will not comment on the gift. Also, I got acid immunity and 3 corruptions from chaotic crowning and they are
    astral planes, bulging cranium and poison hands, in order.

It's not really a spoiler but some might not wanna know.

i'm level 14 and thinking about doing pyramid/griffyard and then a teleport raid on DF (tele book found randomly... yey) for much needed armor. Being raven born really slows down your xp gains... i'm usually close to lvl 17 by the end of thundarr's quests.
    Last edited by pblack; 11-13-2009 at 04:13 AM.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Got started earlier today; things are going quite well. Did a bit of work in the VD, tried to kill Jharod but couldn't overcome his regeneration while cursed. Hit the ID for a bit to pick up some books, came back and killed Jharod with a ghul for Healing. Did puppy cave (puppy long dead though), but loaded up on good supplies there. Equipment damage has been nasty... I've lost probably 10 points worth of PV in armor so far, and have had to replace my body armor at least 3 times.

Wandered over to CoC, got some lizards, found a nice patch of every herb except morgia I will probably do some holy water alterations at some point. There is morgia in the Big Room, but the area is also badly infested with white and brown worms and is fairly dangerous. Visited DT, did the big ID, converted back to neutral for holy water, called it a night.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#######         #########       ############   ################
                 ........................        .............   ..............#
        ##########......................##########...........   ...............###
       #..#/.?[?(#......................#........#..........#######..............#
     ###..#%"}?..#..............#####...#........#..........#.....#..............###
     #....#[/%!%(#.....h........#..&#.../........#..........#...../................#
    ##....#[%}[*]#..............#...#...#........#..........#..&..#................#
    #.....#...]!.#..............#...#...#........#..........#.....#................#
    #.....##/#####..............###/#...##########..........#.....#................#
    #.......................................................#######................#
    #...<.........h..@..........................................................>..#
    #..............................................................................#
    #........###/###.......####........................######/##...................#
    ##.......#.h...#.h.....#  #........................#.......#...................#
     #.......#.....#......h#  #........................#.......#...................#
     ###.....#.._..#.......#  #........................#.......#.................###
       #.....#.....#...................................#.......#.................#
       ###...#######...................................#########...............###
         #....     .....................................       ................#
                   ######################################     ##################
    Kharz         St:17  Le:13  Wi:15  Dx:11  To:21  Ch: 4  Ap: 5  Ma:18  Pe:17 N-
    DV/PV: 19/18   H: 112(112)    P: 61(61)      Exp: 11/42331      D: ?? Sp: 105
    Satiated
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                    Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Swords                   5    +3    +2   +1   skilled              18

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  5   +10              skilled              326

Spells

Calm Monster     :   414,   8pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Cure Light Wounds:    65,   5pp     (Effectivity: +5)
       Darkness         :   335,   4pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Fire Bolt        :   101,   8pp     (Effectivity: +11)
       Frost Bolt       :   250,  10pp     (Effectivity: +12)
       Slow Monster     :   226,   7pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Stun Ray         :   173,   8pp     (Effectivity: +0)

Skills

Alchemy .................. 55    (good)         [+3d3]
      Appraising ............... 30    (mediocre)     [+2d4]
      Climbing ................. 29    (mediocre)     [+3d3]
      Concentration ............100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Detect traps ............. 21    (mediocre)     [+2d4]
      Find weakness ............ 38    (fair)         [+2d4]
      First aid ................ 24    (mediocre)     [+2d4]
      Food preservation ........ 43    (fair)         [+1d3]
      Haggling ................. 23    (mediocre)     [+1d5]
      Healing .................. 62    (good)         [+1]
      Herbalism ................ 23    (mediocre)     [+2d4]
      Listening ................ 47    (fair)         [+1d5]
      Literacy ................. 90    (great)        [+1d5]
      Metallurgy ............... 31    (fair)         [+2d4]
      Mining ................... 69    (good)         [+1]
      Necromancy ...............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Pick pockets ............. 36    (fair)         [+1d5]
      Smithing ................. 30    (mediocre)     [+1d5]
      Stealth .................. 45    (fair)         [+3d5]

Inventory
    Total weight: 1535 stones                Carrying capacity: 3500 stones

He: blessed metal cap [+0, +4]                                        [50s]
    Ne: uncursed necklace of the eye                                       [3s]
    Bo: blessed studded leather armor (-1, +0) [-1, +2]                  [250s]
    Gi: blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0]                               [15s]
    Cl: uncursed hooded cloak [+1, +0]                                    [40s]
    RH: uncursed adamantium scimitar (+0, 1d8+8)                          [28s]
    LH: uncursed medium adamantium shield [+7, +2]                        [72s]
    RR: uncursed ring of damage                                            [1s]
    LR: uncursed ring of fire resistance                                   [1s]
    Br: -
    Ga: uncursed blue leather gauntlets [+0, +4]                          [10s]
    Bo: -
    MW: uncursed heavy crossbow of accuracy (+9, +3)                     [140s]
    Mi: bundle of 10 blessed quarrels of construct slaying (+3, 2d6+3)    [40s]
    Tl: -
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Started soon after midnight. Faffed around in the ID for a while as I figured I'd be less likely to die there.

I don't play ADOM much and don't think I've ever played a chaotic without healing (OK so the PC didn't start out that way but a couple of slaves saw to that). Suffice to say I spectacularly ballsed up getting Healing. Went to VD but of course was chaotic by then. Only just learned from the hint in JellySlayer's post and a quick look at the guidebook that there's a way of getting Healing whilst chaotic. Unfortunately I have already killed Hotzy for the amulet of order. Still, I should change alignment soon although the continuous damage from this thing is a bit of a bugger.

Anyway, I trekked across to the CoC since I needed to get a proper food supply. Saved game in the arena at level 11, as it was late and I had started to hallucinate. Less than 5 hours sleep ... I knew there was a reason I had resisted signing up for these boards.

Started about four hours late because I actually slept on a somewhat normal schedule. Decided not to ID scum for spellbooks, but did do the first level for experience before I headed to the village dungeon to try for healing. On the second level of the ID, at level 6 with 5 PV (tough and iron skin, plus a red leather armor I'd found and the toughness score point), I was exploring with 30/63 HP, and I got one-shotted by a stone block trap. Truly exemplary of the ADOM experience. Pity, between the two sources of fire resistance and the nice St, To, and PV, if I'd managed to get Healing this could have been a great character.

Innocent healer murdered using true berserk mode... Healing skill learned... Now to start an UD run with a level 2 cursed Necromancer! Wheee!

(Yes I am batshit insane. You would be too if you finished a necromancer just one day before a challenge game using another necromancer is announced...)

And the RNG starts taunting me outright. TWO doors I can't kick from a diagonal direction, BOTH fall over and crunch me, and now an ogre behind the SECOND door dropped a SPELLBOOK OF KNOCK on me. GEE. THANKS.

EDIT: Just survived double giant bee suicide poisoning with both my healing potions and poor First Aid skills. 21 To is INSANE high.

EDIT2: PARALYZED BY A BROWN WORM HOLY FUCKER good thing I have like 9 PV

EDIT3: Welp, UD run finished. Now for the rest!

Code:
                                Character Information

Kharz    St:16  Le:13  Wi:14  Dx:10  To:21  Ch: 4  Ap: 5  Ma:15  Pe:15  N=
    DV/PV: 14/14   H: 100(100)   P: 65(65)   Exp: 11/34655   M: 7977

Inventory
    Total weight: 860 stones                Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Head          : metal cap [+0, +1]                                    [50s]
    Neck          : leather amulet                                         [2s]
    Body          : studded leather armor (+0, +1) [-1, +3]              [250s]
    Girdle        : metal girdle [+0, +1]                                 [25s]
    Cloak         : light cloak [+1, +0]                                  [20s]
    Right Hand    : adamantium spear (+1, 1d8+6)                          [36s]
    Left Hand     : -
    Right Ring    : -
    Left Ring     : -
    Bracers       : bracers of protection [+0, +2]                        [10s]
    Gauntlets     : cursed gauntlets (-1, +0) [+0, +1]                    [10s]
    Boots         : -
    Missile weapon: sling (+0, +1)                                         [3s]
    Missiles      : heap of 7 rocks (+0, 1d4)                             [35s]
    Tool          : -

Stuff

Total weight: 419 stones   Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Shields ('[')
       wooden shield [+3, +1]                                             [80s]
    Gauntlets ('[')
       studded gloves [+1, +2]                                             [6s]
    Boots ('[')
       boots of sneakiness [+0, -3] {Dx+2}                                [20s]
    Missiles ('/')
       bundle of 2 quarrels                                                [2s]
       heap of 6 rocks                                                    [30s]
       heap of 4 rocks                                                    [20s]
       heap of 3 rocks                                                    [15s]
       heap of 7 rocks                                                    [35s]
       rock                                                                [5s]
       bundle of 3 arrows                                                  [6s]
       bundle of 5 arrows                                                  [5s]
    Tools (']')
       blanket                                                            [10s]
       hexagonal key                                                       [1s]
    Wands ('\')
       wand of stunning (3 charges)                                        [3s]
       purple wand                                                         [3s]
       wand of ball lightning (5 charges)                                  [4s]
       wand of trap creation (0 charges)                                   [3s]
       glass wand                                                          [3s]
    Potions ('!')
       watery potion                                                       [4s]
       speckled potion                                                     [4s]
       mercury potion                                                      [2s]
    Scrolls ('?')
       scroll of uncursing                                                 [2s]
       scroll of item detection                                            [2s]
    Food ('&#37;')
       heap of 2 lumps of bee wax                                         [10s]
       melon                                                              [20s]
       dwarven sausage                                                    [20s]
       iron ration                                                       [100s]
       bit of candy                                                        [2s]
    Valuables ('$')
       168 gold pieces                                                     [1s]
    Gems ('*')
       green gem                                                           [1s]
    Last edited by Silfir; 11-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I started by killing an outlaw. Then I generated the small cave. PC1 had ants, so I left it alone and headed to the village dungeon. A big tension room of rats and other monsters I came across meant that by the time I reached the healer, I was experience level 6 and had found a spellbook of cure light wounds as well as a heavy crossbow to go with my 16 quarrels of hunting. I also found a neutral altar. Pretty tough, this playing while cursed thing.

25 PV and I haven't reached Dwarftown yet...

Nevermind, I'm there. Thrundarr asked me to kill a kobold.

Man, if Friday 13th is considered unlucky I don't want to see the lucky days.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.