Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adom Walkthrought

Quote Originally Posted by DumbleDoor View Post
    Gut's walkthrough is... an extremely safe, time consuming, scumming for items type of walkthrought.
    Hey, if you want one of THOSE, I'd be happy to oblige...you ain't seen nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > Gut's walkthrough is... an extremely safe,

Perfect words to describe entering Darkforge, ToEF's,
    and D:50 at low exp. levels. I'll bet you play a lot
    more risky-like than that, cause of your manliness
    and all.

>time consuming,

Indeed! Those 20,000 game turns took, like,
    forever! One of these days, I'm really gonna
    have to learn to speed things up a bit.

> scumming for items type of walkthrought

Yeah, I'm sure you always spend less than ~30
    minutes grinding, just like all the other noobs.
    Well, going to darkforge is perfectly safe with tele. Wizards don't rely much on levels.
    For time consuming, I don't mean game time, I mean real life time. Also, this is probably just me, but over 5 minutes in a game which involves scumming is boring to me. Probably why I die so often... I don't harvest herbs.
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

I am doing a Let's Play of a male drakeling druid which is going through the game in the "traditional" way. I'm trying to gear it towards new players but not trying to explain every single action. It's more difficult than it sounds but I'll try to have fun with it.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

> going to darkforge is perfectly safe with tele.

Yes, perfectly. And when you think about it, having
    49 HP's is really like cheating. A real ~man~ would
    have dun it with 30. Whatever.

>Wizards don't rely much on levels.

Sez the guy who reads wiz guides to the guy who
    writes them. I have a fair notion of how exp. levels
    do impact wizards, and they are just as important
    to wizzies as all others.

> For time consuming, I don't mean game time, I mean real life time.

All strategies in my wiz guide and 2nd barbarian
    guide are completely optimized to minimize real
    life
    scumming time. That was actually the main
    objection that was originally presented about the
    wiz guide, people didn't want anyone to be able to
    create such powerful PC's with so little real life effort.

It lead to such comical assertions as "those places
    ain't ~meant~ for no early-game" and "this is only
    for those who are frustrated and desperate for a win"
    and "the infinite dungeon isn't a feature, it's a bug!
    Biskup just somehow overlooked it for a decade." If
    criticism is logical, I'll take it. If not, I'll have to send
    it back to ye.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

hahaha I think things have sort of degenerated from original topic . I am still doing the guide but it feel a bit useless since ADOM contains so much *randomness* Like while I suggest the player to get a shield before atempting to do the carpenter quest, that same player may not have seen a single shield yet thus making him unable to folow guide (well he can still scum one in ID or do it witouth, it's just an example) And also, for wizards, it depends greatly on wich spellbook you find/start with.

As for the guide itself, I am planning to do it in 3 major sections.
    1- Wizards (and alike)
    2.- Fighters (and alike)
    3.- Archers (and alike)

So far, I did the early game with Wizard, it took time mostly because the RNG hates me... Starting with book of light and know alignement is not fun, then finding a book of frostbolt and getting only 180 points of casting in 5 readings made me Shift Q this character .

Could i make the Beastfighter Part? They need a section apart (i read your guide, molach, and it's super, but a guide with screenshot like gut's would be even better)

Also, there should be a part for trolls...
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

True for beastfighters, but I think I need to explain more what I am doing hehe.

This guide does not cover everything in the game (Andy Williams guide book do wonder for that).
    This guide does not visit every game locations (such as minotaur maze and moloch lair).

It is made such a way so new players know how to start, and where to go next in order to survive and beat the game with an ordinary victory.

I make it "only" for Wizard (gnome race), Barbarian(troll race) and Archer (High elf race) because it think it cover the 3 main ways of playing the game, race is what I beleive to be the most convenient for the class.

I may extend it to 1 for each classes but it is extremly time consuming as I play the game while writing the guide so it is as accurate as possible. Even with save backups death happens and consume time.

I will post the first version shortly once I am done a bit further with the wizard part I guess (since I just discovered the "attachment" button )

And if people wants to help writing the guide, as long as it sticks to the "original" structure, I would be more than happy to split the job !

gnomish wizards...
    gnomes make excellent barbarians
    And grey elves are the wizard race...
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief

Just a silly online game

gnomish wizards...
    gnomes make excellent barbarians
    And grey elves are the wizard race...
    Reason #2 why making the guide is hard. People have preferance and the game can be played several ways :P

Anyways, here is what the guide looks like so far. Constructive critiscism(is that even a word in english?) is welcome. Free bashing is not .

"Once you reached Dwarf town, talk to and ask him" name is missing, I is correct now (not in the file so far).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Morb; 11-17-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: mistake in attached file.

here's the reread thing. I've added a few idea (noted with \) and changed some grammar or construction mistakes (noted with !)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dudley; 11-17-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Just a silly online game