Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't cast spell on the 'W' key?

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Now Teleport is stuck on 'W' unless I learn Wish
    would it not help you to unlearn sth useless ?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel View Post
    would it not help you to unlearn sth useless ?
    I know every spell except Wish.. it's unpractical to unlearn enough spells to get back on one page, and I don't think there are that many useless spells anyway.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

There's a way to quickmark magic spells. I forget
    it though, as I never use it. You can use this site's
    search function and find it quickly enough.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

:Z ?

Yeah, that lets me cast Teleport with Z1, but makes casting any other spell annoying - Z*+X instead of Z+X. I've been adding and deleting the quickmark a lot.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    :Z ?

Yeah, that lets me cast Teleport with Z1, but makes casting any other spell annoying - Z*+X instead of Z+X. I've been adding and deleting the quickmark a lot.
    If you're running sage, you could set a hotkey (say, alt+1) to Z* to avoid some of the annoyance here. In fact, this is what I usually do with skills - set the ones that I'm going to use over and over again to quickmark and hotkeyed, and have "use non-quickmarked skill" hotkeyed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Platypus View Post
    If you're running sage, you could set a hotkey (say, alt+1) to Z* to avoid some of the annoyance here. In fact, this is what I usually do with skills - set the ones that I'm going to use over and over again to quickmark and hotkeyed, and have "use non-quickmarked skill" hotkeyed too.
    pray tell, how many skills are you using? I've never ran out of hotkeys for them, even when I'm hotkeying metallurgy, so I'm curious that maybe I'm underusing something.

Quote Originally Posted by zasvid View Post
    pray tell, how many skills are you using? I've never ran out of hotkeys for them, even when I'm hotkeying metallurgy, so I'm curious that maybe I'm underusing something.
    You're not, at least not for this reason; I just only hotkey 3 skills and the skill list:
    (Alt+)1: Pick Pockets
    (Alt+)2: First Aid
    (Alt+)3: Herbalism (or Ventriloquism, if I have it)
    (Alt+)4: a* (the skill list)
    Because I want to leave room for:
    (Alt+)5: A bolt spell, usually Magic Missile or Fire Bolt
    (Alt+)6: Teleport
    (Alt+)7: Calm/Slow Monster
    (Alt+)8: Z* (the spell list)
    (Alt+)9: :s (swap)
    (Alt+)0: := (variable set)

Obviously, a lot of these are unused in games where I don't know many spells and/or don't have many skills, but in those games I don't need to worry about speeding up commands anyway. I also switch (Alt+)6 to u6 and (Alt+)7 to u4 if I'm doing heavy mining and don't know many spells.

Looking over this, it probably looks like I've put more thought into my optimization than I actually have; I often forget to use (Alt+)9 and (Alt+)0, and this kind of organically grew as I got frustrated with having to press three keys to get one thing done. It's also completely unnecessary. The only reason I do it at all is because the two games I most play other than ADOM are Starcraft and DotA, which both require ungodly keystroke efficiency, and it's given me some minor OCD as far as game commands go.

Speaking of which, if any of you know how to play either of those games but aren't very good (or even are reasonably good, but in this case you'll probably kick my ass) and want to get better, let me know; I need a Starcraft practice partner and I'm still working on building a group of 10 for casual DotA practice.

DotA rocks, shame I don't play it anymore. I was never good though. By the way, have you tried League of Legends?

Starcraft? I can play Starcraft. It's not installed right now though, would have to find it.

Including Brood War? Because I don't know if I can find that anywhere I'm afraid.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    DotA rocks, shame I don't play it anymore. I was never good though. By the way, have you tried League of Legends?
    I've tried both League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. The former is fun but not my cup of tea (microtransaction-based games where you have to unlock or pay for most of the good options don't lend themselves well to competitive play) and the latter simply has the worst balance I have ever seen. I play DotA over both simply because there's far more strategic depth as a result of far more viable options.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Starcraft? I can play Starcraft. It's not installed right now though, would have to find it. Including Brood War? Because I don't know if I can find that anywhere I'm afraid.
    Yeah, Brood War. The game and expansion have both been out for 11 years, no excuse to play the old version. Brood War fixed some serious problems, specifically that Protoss didn't have an answer to Zerg air (mutalisks, specifically) and Terran versus Zerg was almost unplayable (for both sides).

If it's been a while since you've played the game, TeamLiquid maintains an excellent [url=http://www.liquipedia.net]wiki[/i] that can teach you the basics of modern competitive Starcraft pretty damn quickly. One of the benefits of a game having had a serious professional scene for ten years (and still growing) is that the strategy keeps moving.

EDIT: I almost forgot the best part!
    ICCUP (a 3rd party Starcraft server that most serious players use over Battle.net due to far better antihack measures and a far superior ladder) offers an apparently legal version of Starcraft (it's been publicly available for several years and Blizzard hasn't complained) that works perfectly for multiplayer (I believe the single player campaign is missing, but I own a copy of the game so I can't test that).
    Last edited by Captain Platypus; 11-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.