Thread: This has to the dumbest death ever

Default This has to the dumbest death ever

Well, I was going through the minotaur maze as my elven priest and was casting magic map, teleport etc. I finally found the down stairway and was going to teleport there, but apparently I hit the wrong key, because the next this I see is that I drained my life away with an energy ray. Apparently I hit G instead of F and was casting death ray, not teleport on myself. Gah. And I thought it was annoying when a typo made me kill a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by agatharchides View Post
    Well, I was going through the minotaur maze as my elven priest and was casting magic map, teleport etc. I finally found the down stairway and was going to teleport there, but apparently I hit the wrong key, because the next this I see is that I drained my life away with an energy ray. Apparently I hit G instead of F and was casting death ray, not teleport on myself. Gah. And I thought it was annoying when a typo made me kill a cat.
    The number of people who've accidentally magic-missiled or death ray-ed themselves is rather large, actually. I'm not really one of them, but that's because I don't like spellcasters, for some reason.

I've also deathrayed myself without resistance. On a missclick too, I pressed 6 instead of 3. Shit happens, better luck next time

I hate it when that happens! That's why I bind my number keys so Healing spells and Magic Map are closer to teleport
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    I've also deathrayed myself without resistance. On a missclick too, I pressed 6 instead of 3. Shit happens, better luck next time
    I've blasted myself by giving a bad direction for a ray attack a few times, but not yet fatally. The only true death by miscast was a wand of ball lightning.

And i bounced a bunch of deathrays at an unresisting character for laughs, but that was The Char That Wouldn't Die - a lvl 50 Necro with +10 To in equipment.

Death rays cast by yourself will not kill you - you simply get a message about having cold feet. Bouncing death rays from a wand of death will do the trick though.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Death rays cast by yourself will not kill you - you simply get a message about having cold feet. Bouncing death rays from a wand of death will do the trick though.
    Not true, I've killed myself with a bouncing casted death ray.

My wizards have died by a bouncing death ray, bouncing lightning bolts, bouncing magic missiles, and last but not least by accidentally casting wish instead of teleport (do you *really* want to exhaust yourself casting this spell Y/N?).

Wands of death are incredibly useful though. One potion of booze can kill allot of dragons.

This seemed to happen to me a lot in the past (before starting to use the number shortcuts) specially after learning a new spell and forgetting it also changes the lettering for other spells...

So a word of advice from someone who learned it the hard way: keep offensive, defensive and utility spells quick-marked, and grouped together =)... and I never quick-mark the rarely cast and potentially leathal (to yourself) spells anyway :P