Hey Elone,
I expected a harsh wind, but nothing like that. I wanted to propose some idea, that crossed my mind when reading the thread, and a little analysis of what comes with it. I really had no argument in mind.
I just saw, however, that if you want characters with different profiles and no classes, then you need to do something to hinder every game ending up in the same skill configuration that turned out to be best. Of course, players could restrict themselves to behaving suboptimal, but what's the point of all that then? And of course, a game could be so perfectly balanced that there is no such thing as optimal or suboptimal.

Maybe there was some misunderstanding as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
[FONT=Courier New]Enormous learning rate? It's not unrealistic. ...
E.g. here, what I maybe not very clearly directed at was not the learning rate of the player, but the one of the character, which is pretty ridiculous. From lvl1 normal guy to lvl50 almost godlike in 90 days by training?

Unlearning is silly. If you dont want to use a skill, dont use it. If you really dont want a skill, dont learn it. There could be a potion or scroll of unlearning, or an NPC, but not something that happens in the background whether the player wants it or not.

I see, that you don't like it, but that was exactly my point. The player should choose what he wants to be proficient in. Instead of just getting a Jack of all trades.

... and they hate each other, but they both continue to exist and enjoy what they do. Why not?
I don't hate anyone. Neither had I in mind to advocate for or against anything. It is more a fact than an argument.

We? That's a pretty bold statement.
Who is we? No, probably 'want' was not the correct term. But it is what we (most of us) direct our game play way at, isn't it?

Sounds like a very very poor tradeoff to me. Analogous to sitting into a new type of car which is harder to drive, weaker in all aspects, and with less features than other cars, but the manufacturer tells you that its main advantage is that it's unlike any other car you've seen before.
Yeah, might be right, but the issue in question (as I perceive it) is adressed by that car, freeing us of certain disadvantages of the old cars. It does bring new disadvantages, but they could be worked on as well. So, that's all to this from my side.