Thread: Eating Corpses for Strength.

Default Eating Corpses for Strength.

If one were to eat a corpse which has a chance of granting a strength increase upon consumption (ogres, giants, etc.) but your ceiling for strength has been reached (for example, you have 26 strength, and your strength potential is 26), is it possible that the potential can be raised by eating corpses?

EDIT: I may have just answered my own question. It seems that blessed corpses have a chance of raising both the ceiling and the normal amount if they are the same. Am I correct?
    Last edited by Panda_Lord; 12-17-2009 at 07:30 AM.

It seems so.

That elads me to have another question : is the potential maximum adjusted by a ring of weakness?
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by Panda_Lord View Post
    If one were to eat a corpse which has a chance of granting a strength increase upon consumption (ogres, giants, etc.) but your ceiling for strength has been reached
    It depends on the ceiling and on the corpse. Not all corpses are equally good.

@Dudley: not really. The RoW just lowers your current Str score. So, say your max str is 26 and your current score is also 26. Now you equip a RoW. Your current Str drops to.. uhm.. was it 4? Anyway, your current str drops below your max str, so you can now raise it easily by eating a corpse (or just being strained).

But now comes the kinky part: raising your str while wearing the RoW will adjust your max str.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 12-17-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Max Stat Potential ONLY affects stat training, from sources such as bening burdened or Garth. They never affect increases from corpses, potions, etc.

The B/U/C status of a corpse rarely matters for stat increases; generally Cursed is as good as Blessed.

Most corpse stat increases are based on the current amount of a stat you have - the lower, the easier it is to raise; some always raise the stat regardless. This DOES count any increases or decreases you are recieving from equipment - it is not too uncommon for someone to abuse a ring of weakness and eat a bunch of ogres or whatever for continual Strength increases. People also abuse Sickness or Starvation to lower their stats for increases.

Generally speaking, stats are difficult to raise over about ~30 from eating corpses; e.g. at that point eating a unique corpse that could give you up to 10 of a stat would probably only give you +2 or +3.

Speed increases work similarly, with increases getting hard around 140 speed.

Corpses that give guaranteed stat increases (no matter how high your stat is, max of 99 obviously) include the Minotaur Emperor, Black Druid, Kobold Shamans, and some of the high dragons/wyrms. (Most of these do also have negative effects, however.)

Are you sure about black druid?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinge View Post
    People also abuse Sickness or Starvation to lower their stats for increases.
    Yes, this is imo the best (if a bit scummy) way of eating corpses. I normally get 5-7 strength from the ogre cave. Makes me pray to keep running into ogre tension rooms

Are you sure about black druid?
    Absolutely.