Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do some people LOVE TH and others HATE it?

Default Why do some people LOVE TH and others HATE it?

really nobody is like "eh, its alright". any unbiased opinions out there?

well, I'm kinda indifferent to it because i dont really understand the full scope of its power (whether it be less or more than i expect). all i know is that it's supposed to help get more treasure, so i hedge my bets and get it anyway.

Well, on the one hand TH is the light and the glory which we all should worship, so obviously those who understand this fully are very devout and vocal in their preachings.

On the other hand anyone who thinks the almighty Treasure Hunter is actually a poor talent are certifiably insane. These insane people are very fervent and loud due to their mental instability, which is why they so strongly advocate against taking the talent.

On the surface the opposite arguments may look similar, but underneath the motivations are very different.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Well, on the one hand TH is the light and the glory which we all should worship, so obviously those who understand this fully are very devout and vocal in their preachings.

On the other hand anyone who thinks the almighty Treasure Hunter is actually a poor talent are certifiably insane. These insane people are very fervent and loud due to their mental instability, which is why they so strongly advocate against taking the talent.

On the surface the opposite arguments may look similar, but underneath the motivations are very different.
    haha, and what might these motivations be?

One is the promotion of all that is good and pure and holy, the other the work of deeply perverted and chaotic minds.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

True, true. Only totally perverted minds will push Treasure Hunter - "try it, you'll like it! The first dose is free!". And then the poor saps take the talent, not knowing that they're entering a deal with the Devil: to "fuel" the extra items, the soul of everybody they slay is turned to demonic thralldom for eons. Yes, even the souls of undead will not be freed if a Treasure Hunter slays them, but rather bound even more terribly and hopelessly. You wondered where all the fresh undead came from every time you fired up the game, didn't you? Those are all the souls of Treasure Hunter victims.

Stop the vicious cycle! Get Long Stride Now!

For the record: i'm pretty damn indifferent about Treasure Hunter; but since the Treasure Hunter Holy War has turned into a bit of a national sport round here and i don't think the talent is the best thing since sliced bread, well, my stance just had to end up in _this_ trench.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    One is the promotion of all that is good and pure and holy, the other the work of deeply perverted and chaotic minds.
    Shit, now that I read that, hating TH sounds way better...

Get TH if you can survive. WHEN you can. not before.
    I'M ALWAYS a NEUTRAL MIND (xcept i'm against the use of anything looking like normal rocks, crossbow bolts, arrows, in the missile slot. And against the use of magic 2, and also for the usage of gnomes.) and TH is good if you can survive. Which is hard to determine.
    Dwarven paladin : TH is an option. (I HATE THOSE slow leveling guys)
    Hurtling fighter. 'tis not. (i hate lawful, pitiful guys.)
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

My opinion of Treasure Hunter is not so much that it is a great, amazing talent -- it's moreso that all the other talents suck. A huge chunk of the talents have a rathertiny or worthless effect, and even though TH costs 3 talents and still isn't all that powerful in reality, the majority of the other talents are bad enough that TH looks better.

(Long Stride, Quick Shot, Lightning Shot, and Bard-Heir not included in the sucky list, for the record.)

I think the cons of TH are pointed enough often enough, and we indeed don't really know what it does. As far as I noticed, it generally increases the chance that potions, scrolls, probably rings/amulets, wands and maybe books drop. Since I like to mess a lot with scrolls and potions I usually take TH; but if you have pickpocketing and want to use it, or are prepared for stairhopping - then it might not be worth the talents, except maybe for highly stat-dependent characters like petless bards. But actually I think talents don't matter a lot, except for the missile talents, PV-bonuses at start, and good learner - if it really gives at least 40% extra xp.